Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[CALL TO ORDER]

[00:00:06]

>> GOOD MORNING. I'D LIKE TO CALL THIS MEETING TO ORDER.

THIS MORNING'S INVOCATION IS BY THE PASTOR OF SAN MARCOS SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH.

IF YOU WILL PLEASE ALL RISE. OK. I'LL HAPPILY LEAD THE CHARGE.

HOW ABOUT THAT? DEAR LORD, WE ASK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED GUIDANCE AND BLESSING DOING THESE TROUBLING TIMES FOR OUR PLANET, FOR OUR COUNTRY, FOR OUR STATE AND OUR COMMUNITY.

WE ASK FOR CONTINUED BLESSINGS, CONTINUED PEACE AND UNDERSTANDING SO WE MAY ALL SEE EACH OTHER AS WE TRULY ARE. TEXANS, AMERICANS AND SOMEONE'S LOVED ONES.

IN JESUS' NAME WE PRAY FOR A PEACEFUL COURT, AMEN. I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL. HONOR THE TEXAS FLAG.

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THEE, TEXAS, ONE STATE UNDER GOD. ONE AND INDIVISIBLE.

DR. CARDENAS, WILL YOU PLEASE CALL THE ROLL? >> YES.

>> HERE. >> HERE. >> NOT YET.

LET'S START AGAIN ON THE ROLL CALL, AS SOON AS YOUR MIKE GETS LIT.

OK. TRY AGAIN, DR. CARDENAS. >> COMMISSIONER INGALSBE.

>> HERE. >> COMMISSIONER JONES. >> HERE.

>> COMMISSIONER SHELL. >> COMMISSIONER SMITH. >> HERE.

>> JUDGE BECERRA. >> HERE. AND IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT COMMISSIONER SHELL IS HERE AND HE'S HERE ELECTRONICALLY, AND ALTHOUGH HIS MIKE MAY NOT BE ON AT THE MOMENT, HE IS PRESENT. SO I WILL MAKE THAT NOTE. WE HAVE WE HAVE A FEW MOMENTS ON THE MIKE PIECE. DO WE HAVE MR. AMAYA, CAN YOU TELL ME IF THAT GREEN LIGHT IS AROUND THE MICROPHONE THERE. THE RED LIGHT. S SIR.

WE'RE GOING TO GET OUR MIKES TURNED ON SO THAT WE CAN START, AND I'LL GIVE IT A FEW MORE

[PUBLIC COMMENTS]

MOMENTS ON THE PUBLIC COMMENTS. I'LL READ A LITTLE STATEMENT. THOSE IN THE AUDIENCE WHO HAVE SUBMITTED A PUBLIC PARTICIPATION WITNESS FORM WILL NOW HAVE THROW MINUTES TO SPEAK.

UNFORTUNATELY, NO ACTION MAY BE TAKEN BY THE COURT DURING PUBLIC COMMENTS, AS WE ARE EXPECTED NOT TO RESPOND. ANY QUESTIONS WILL BE TAKEN AT RHETORICAL.

ALL COMMENTS ARE OPINIONS OF THE SPEAKER AND ARE NOT MEANT TO NECESSARILY BE CONSTRUED AS TRUTH. PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS AND LANGUAGE CIVIL AND RESPECTFUL, OR YOU WILL FORFEIT THE REMAINDER OF YOUR TIME. IN THE SPIRIT OF RESPECT, PLEASE SILENCE YOUR CELL PHONES. IS IT GREEN NOW MR. AMAYA? SORRY, BUDDY.

AWESOME. WE'RE READY FOR THE COMMENTS PORTION OF OUR AGENDA AND I WILL CALL FIRST MR. HARVEY JENKINSS, WE GOT A LITTLE TIME FOR HER TO KEEP WORKING ON IT.

THANK YOU, THOUGH. -- JENKINS. I KNOW.

THAT WAY YOU CAN KEEP WORKING ON IT THOUGH WHILE MR. JENKINS IS ON.

IF YOU'LL PLEASE START HIS TIMER. MR. JENKINS, NICE TO SEE YOU,

SIR. >> NICE TO SEE YOU. COMMISSIONERS, I AM THE ACTING PRESIDENT OF THE SAN MARCOS TOAST MASTERS CLUB INTERNATIONAL IN 524.

AND I BELIEVE IN SPEAK. I BELIEVE IN PUBLIC SPEECH AND I'M GOING TO START OFF MY SPEECH WITH A LITTLE POEM HERE GOES LIKE THIS. HERE I STAND IN HAYS COUNTY GETTING THAT ITCH AGAIN. IF Y'ALL DON'T STOP SPENDING WE'RE GOING TO BE THE NEXT DETROIT MICHIGAN. AND I SAY THAT BECAUSE EVERYWHERE I LOOK IN HAYS COUNTY I SEE MONEY FLOWING OUT, BUT I DON'T ANY COMING IN. AND IT JUST IT DISMAYS ME A LOT.

THE AMOUNT OF MONEY FLOWING OUT OF THIS COUNTY THAT OUR GREAT THAT OUR GREAT GRANDCHILDREN,

[00:05:04]

GRANDCHILDREN ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY. DAN LYONS, HE COMES UP HERE AND TELLS Y'ALL ABOUT THE DISBURSEMENTS AND HOW MUCH MONEY THE SCHER SIEVE SPENDING, HOW MUCH MONEY THE ROAD DEPARTMENTS ARE SPENDING, AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS WE'VE STOOD HERE AND BEGGED Y'ALL IT STOP SPENDING MONEY.

WE NEED TO GET A GRASP ON OUR SPENDING BECAUSE Y'ALL MIGHT SEE IT AS NECESSITIES, BUT FROM THIS

SIDE OF THE ELECT URN WE SEE IT AS PROFLIGATE. >> THANK YOU MR. JENKINS.

NEXT SPEAKER IS MR. RODRIGO AMAYA. IF YOU WILL PLEASE START THE

TIMER. >> THANK YOU JUDGE COMIGERS, TO THE VIEWERS IN CYBERSPACE THANK YOU FOR TUNING IN. COMMISSIONERS -- COMMISSIONERS. I MADE A BUNCH OF ARRANGEMENTS TO BE HERE. I LOST EIGHT HOURS OF MY JOB. THE REASON I'M HERE IS BECAUSE WHAT I HAVE TO SHARE WITH Y'ALL IS IMPORTANT. FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS IS YOU BECOME AN ATTORNEY FOLLOW THE RULES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT. BACK ON 8-6 OF 18 I FILED A OPEN RECORD KENNEDY'S OFFICE FOR INFORMATION ON SOME MATERIAL INVOLVING A PRISONER TRANSPORTATION OUT OF ON THE COUNTIES OF SOUTH TEXAS. THE RESPONSE WAS THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY MATERIALS. BUT HERE I HAVE FROM THE PREVIOUS OWNER OF THAT COMPANY, HIS FAMILY SENT ME THIS EMAIL WHERE THE CORRESPONDENCE BETWEEN EMPLOYEES FROM THE COUNTY THAT THERE ARE TRANSACTIONS GOING ON. SO WHAT I'M TRYING IT TO TELL YOU IS THAT OUR COUNCIL IS NOT BEING HONEST. AND THESE RULES RIGHT HERE, THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT KIND OF REPUTATION. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, WE LOST $1.2 MILLION AT THE LOST PINES.

WHAT IS THE QUESTION THAT PEOPLE ASK ME IS, WHAT IS THIS GUY STILL EMPLOYED WITH THE COUNTY.

THAT'S Y'ALL'S FAULT. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT Y'ALL GOING TO DO ABOUT IT TO MAKE SURE HE'S HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS AVALANCHE OF BLUNDERS. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE AND IT'S Y'ALL'S RESPONSIBILITY AND Y'ALL DOING A BAD JOB. THE OTHER THING IS THIS TECH COUNTY SATURDAY SURVEYS I WENT ALL THE WAY BACK IT 2012. FOR SOME REASON MR. KENNEDY'S OFFICE WHEN I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE SALARY ALL HE RESPONDS IS, NONE.

NONE. WE'RE ALL FOLKS COME UP HERE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE 7 MILLION PLUS THAT WE'RE IN DEBT. WE WANT TRANSPARENCY. WE DON'T WANT NONE! YOU KNOW, HE WORKS HERE. HE WORKS THE AT UNIVERSITY. AND NONE? HE GETS ALL KINDS OF NEW TOYS AND NEW HELP AND INSURANCE AND ALL KINDS OF STUFF Y'ALL JUST RUBBER STAMP YOU KNOW. WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY? HIS STANDARDS OF OPERATING ARE HIGHER ESPECIALLY BECAUSE HE'S A COUNTY EMPLOYEE THAT REPRESENTS THE INTEREST OF HIS COUNTY.

HE'S DOING A VERY POOR JOB AND Y'ALL ARE JUST AS GUILTY AS HE BECAUSE WHAT Y'ALL GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT? HERE'S SOMETHING. I SUGGEST Y'ALL START LOOKING AT HOLDING HIM ACCOUNTABLE AND DON'T BE WILLING TO OVERLOOK ALL THESE CONCERNS THAT I'VE BROUGHT UP SO FAR. COMMISSIONER ONE, WE'VE GOT SOME PATROL UNITS OUTSIDE CONSTABLE UNITS PRECINCT ONE. THE LAW CLEARLY STATES CONTRASTING COLORS.

I GOT ALL THESE CARS GHOSTING OUT. I CAN'T THEY ARE LEGITIMATE.

THE LAST PRESIDENTIAL ADMINISTRATION THERE WERE ALL KINDS OF INDIVIDUALS RUNNING AROUND WITH ALL KINDS OF BLACKED OUT CARS DOING ALL KINDS OF STUFF I DON'T KNOW WHAT.

THERE'S NO ACCOUNTABILITY. HOPEFULLY, THIS ADMINISTRATION CHANGES IT AND Y'ALL NEED IT HOLD THOSE INDIVIDUALS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT BECAUSE THAT'S ILLEGAL.

I ASKED FOR MINUTES WHERE THAT WAS APPROVED AGAIN HIS OFFICE WOULDN'T PROVIDE THAT BECAUSE THERE WAS NO PERMISSION I DON'T KNOW WHY THERE'S A WAIT. THANK YOU Y'ALL.

>> THANK YOU MR. AMAYA. HE GAVE ME A LOT OF NOTES TO TAKE.

AND OUR FINAL -- WAIT, THERE'S ONE MORE. OUR NEXT SPEAKER IS MR. DAN

LYON. >> GOOD MORNING, JUDGE BECERRA AND COMMISSIONERS.

FIRST, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I ADMIRE YOUR AUDACITY. I DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER GROUP OF TAKE GROUNDHOGS DAY OFF. I GUESS IT'S JUST PART OF PEOPLE WHO VOTED 5-0 TO RAISE THE TAX RATE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PAN PANDEMIC. I NOTICED IN THE DISBURSEMENTS THAT TODAY FEBRUARY THE 9TH, 2021 THE PEOPLE OF HAYS COUNTY ARE PAYING A MERE $26,576,948.31 FOR INTERESTING SINKING DEBT SERVICE. THE COUNTY IS SINKING UNDER THE WEIGHT OF DEBT WHICH ALL OF HAVE YOU DONE MUCH TO ACCUMULATE. IF ANY OF YOU IN THE AUDIENCE

[00:10:02]

ARE EXPECTING A TAX CUT IN THE COMING YEAR, I ADVISE YOU TO THINK AGAIN.

I'VE SEEN NOTHING IN THE COMMISSIONERS COURT TO SUGGEST ANY YOU HAVE THE SLIGHTEST FINANCIAL ACUMEN BUT YET WHEN IT'S TIME FOR REELECTION THE REPUBLICANS CLAIM TO BE CONSERVATIVES WHO HAVE KEPT TAXES LOW. THE DEMOCRATS CLAIMED TO WORK HARD FOR THE PEOPLE. WHAT KIND OF DISTAUPEIAN UNIVERSE ARE YOU LIVING IN? AS FAR AS I KNOW NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO GIVE AN EXPLANATION FOR THE HAYS COUNTY CENTRAL APPRAISAL DISTRICT IN THE APPRAISAL REVIEW BOARD AS TO HOW THEY ARE NOT VIOLATING 14EKS 1.43-B OF THE TEXAS PROPERTY TAX CODE. I CONTEND THEY ARE.

YOU ELECTED JENNIFER OWE CANE OVER MY OBJECTION AS YOUR REPRESENTATIVE TO OVERSEE THE THE -- SO YOU NEED TO INSTRUCT HER TO GET AN ANSWER. THE PEOPLE OF HAYS COUNTY DESERVE AN EXPLANATION. IT IS MY OPINION THAT IF WE HAD A DISTRICT ATTORNEY WHO WAS DOING HIS JOB, RATHER THAN BRING DOWN THE FULL WEIGHT AND RESOURCES OF HIS OFFICE ON A MINORIC OFFENSE WITH WHAT SEEMED TO BE ANTI-SEMITIC OVERTONES -- WOULD TAKE A CLASS ACTION SUIT TO ALL PARTIES TO GIVE AN ANSWER? IN CONCLUSION THE ENDGAME TO ALL OF THIS RECKLESS SPENDING WILL BE CONFISCATION OF PRIVATE PROPERTY TO SATISFY THE TWIN DEBTS OF THE COUNTY AND THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS I MIGHT ADD AND THE CITY IF YOU'RE IN THE CITY BEFORE YOU SAY THAT'S CRAZY CONSIDER THAT YOU ARE ALREADY EFFECTIVELY PAYING RENT ON PROPERTY YOU WHICH OWN OR INTENDED TO OWN. THE COUNTY IS AROUND THREE-QUARTERS OF A BILLION DOLLARS IF DEBT AND IT IS GROWING.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. >> THANK YOU AND OUR LAST SPEAKER OF THE PUBLIC COMMENTS

PORTION IS MR. TIM BARACAMER >> THANK YOU, JUDGE BECERRA AND COMMISSIONERS.

MY NAME IS TIM BAUERKEMPER. I'M PASTOR AT LUTHERAN SAN MARCOS.

>> I WAS JOKING. I SAID TIMES UP. BARELY GOT STARTED.

>> THAT WAS A QUICK THREE MINUTES. MY CONGREGATION GIVES ME LONGER

THAN THAT. >> I'M HERE SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF MYSELF BUT ALSO ON CORRIDOR INTERFAITH ALLIANCE FOR FAMILIES AND WE HAVE WORKED WITH YOU ALL A NUMBER OF TIMES ON CENSUS COUNT WE'VE ALSO HAD CONVERSATIONS EARLY ON IN THE PANDEMIC.

OUR CONCERN HAS BEEN WHO IS MISSED? WHO IS BEING LEFT OUT? WHO LACKS ACCESS TO TESTING AND CARE? AND I COMMEND YOU ALL FOR REACHING INTO THE UNDERSERVED COMMUNITIES EAST OF 35, THOSE WHO ARE MOST LEFT OUT.

THANK YOU FOR DOING THAT WORK. AS WE MOVE TO THE NEXTS WITH VACCINATIONS, WE HAVE A QUESTION. WE HAVE ALL FACED EXTREME ANXIETY FOR A YEAR NOW.

THIS ISN'T A QUESTION. THE QUESTION IS WHETHER THE THINGS WE'RE DOING AS A COMMUNITY ARE RATCHETING UP OR LOWERING THE ANXIETY. I PLAN TO BE HERE LAST WEEK TO CALL FOR A REGISTRATION SYSTEM RATHER THAN A WEEKLY EASTER EGG HUNT FOR ELDERLY AND DISABLED PEOPLE. I COMMEND YOU FOR MAKING THAT HAPPEN.

THE WEEKLY PROCESS WAS NOT HAPPENING. I COMMEND YOU BUT I'M STILL AFRAID. AS CORRIDOR INTERFAITH LEADERS, WE ARE AFRAID THERE ARE TOO MANY WHO ARE STILL GOING TO BE LEFT OUT. I WAS GOING TO ADVOCATE FOR A BACKDROP COUNTY SYSTEM AND I STILL THINK THEY HAVE THINGS TO TEACH US.

THEY ADOPTED A 30-PAGE PLAN COMRIFENSE PROCESS BEFORE THEY HAD A SINGLE DOSE AVAIL -- COMPREHENSIVE. ONE OF THE MOST IMPRESSIVE PIECES WASN'T THE REGISTRATION FORM. IT WAS THEY HAD A ROBUST TASK FORCE OF EDUCATORS, COMMUNITY HEALTH LEADERS, POLITICAL OFFICIALS, COMMUNITY ACTIVISTS READY TO REACH OUT BEFORE THEY HAD A SINGLE DOSE. THEY HAD MATERIALS MANY ENGLISH AND SPANISH.

THEY HAD CONNECTION IN THE NEIGHBORHOODS THAT HAVE ALMOST NO TRUST MANY THE COUNTY.

GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT THIS WAS COMING, GETTING THE WORD OUT HOW IMPORTANT VACCINATION IS TO RECOVERY. WE NEED A TASK FORCE LIKE THAT. WE NEED TO WORK WITH PEOPLE WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BE Y'ALL'S FAVORITES ALWAYS, BUT WHO HAVE THE RELATIONSHIPS AND THE CONNECTIONS IN THOSE COMMUNITIES. TO WORK, TO GET THE WORD OUT.

ALL OF OUR PRESS IS IN ENGLISH. ALMOST ENTIRELY. YES, THERE ARE SIGNUPS, BUT HOW

[00:15:04]

DO YOU KNOW TO SIGN UP IF YOU DON'T READ ENGLISH? IT ALL COMES ON ELECTRONIC MEDIA. HOW DO YOU KNOW TO SIGN UP IF YOU DON'T ACCESS THOSE THINGS? HOW DO YOU KNOW WHETHER YOU CAN TRUST THIS VACCINE IF YOU DON'T TRUST GOVERNMENT, WHITE MEDIA, IF YOU'RE MARGINALIZED? WE NEED A TASK FORCE AND WE NEED A COMPREHENSIVE PLAN WITH INFORMATION TO RATCHET DOWN AND EASE ANXIETY. THANK YOU.

WE'LL BE IN TOUCH. >> THANK YOU, SIR. AND THIS CONCLUDES OUR PUBLIC COMMENTS. SURE. IF YOU'LL PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR

FORM. >> MAKE IT BRIEF, JUDGE. >> GET YOUR FORM TURNED IN.

DO YOU HAVE YOUR FORM FILLED OUT? YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A FORM FILLED OUT? WE'RE GOING TO PASS THEN. WILL YOU PLEASE OPEN AGENDA ITEM

[1. Adopt a Proclamation declaring February as Spay/Neuter Awareness Month in Hays County. BECERRA]

NUMBER ONE? >> NUMBER ONE, ADOPT A PROCLAMATION DECLARING FEBRUARY AS SPAY NEUTER AWARENESS MONTH IN HAYS COUNTY, WHERE AS THE REGIONAL ANIMAL SHELTER REPORTED THAT THERE WERE 4,242 ANIMALS IMPOUNDED IN FY-2020 IN WHICH OVER 34% OR 1,449 ANIMALS WERE FROM HAYS COUNTY, AND WHEREAS THE HAYS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS COURT IN SUPPORT OF THE NO-KILL INITIATIVE ENDORSES RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP AND ENCOURAGES THE COMMUNITY TO FIX THEIR PETS TO CURB THE NUMBER OF PETS THAT MAY BECOME HOMELESS, STRAY, OR ENTERINAL ANIMAL SHELTER AS WHEREAS SPAY AND NEUTERED PETS AND TRAPPED NEUTER RETURN UNKNOWN YOU HAVE BEEN KNOWN CATS ARE IN AWE GROWTH COMPONENTS OF THE NO KILL EQUATION AND WHERE PEOPLE OWN PETS MILLIONS ARE LEFT HOMELESS LIVING ON THE STREETS NOR SHELTERS WHEREAS EACH YEAR 2.4 MILLION ANNALS ARE HEALTHY AND ADOPTABLE ARE EUTHANIZED IN ANIMAL SHELTERS BECAUSE OF LACK OF RESOURCES, AND WHEREAS IT IS ESTIMATED THAT 90% OF PETS LIVING IF POVERTY AND 98% OF COMMUNITY UNOWNED CATS ARE NOT A SPAYED OR NEUTERED LEAVING THEM OPEN TO ADDING TO THE OVERPOPULATION PROBLEM. WHEREAS SPAY AND NEUTER INITIATIVES REDUCE INCIDENTS OF HOMELESS ANIMALS, CERTAIN LIFE THREAT DISEASES AND EVEN CURB NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR.

NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE HAYS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS COURT DOES HERE BY PROCLAIM THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY 2021 AS SPAY-NEUTER AWARENESS MONTH AND HERE BY CALLS ON THE CITIZENS OF HAYS COUNTY TO HELP CONTROL PET OVERPOPULATION IN OUR COMMUNITY AND MINIMIZE THE NUMBER OF HOMELESS CATS AND DOGS IMPOUNDED TO THE REGIONAL SHELTER TO SPAY AND NEUTER ANIMALS IT THEIR CARE TO DONATE A ANIMAL WELFARE ASSOCIATION, OR SPONSOR THE SPAY OR NIRT OF A PET TO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IF HAD AN ANIMAL'S LIFE AND MAKE IT GO FURTHER IN AN ANIMAL SHELTER

ADOPTED THIS THE NINTH DAY OF FEBRUARY 202021. >> SO MOVED.

>> SECOND. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND AND WE HAVE A COUPLE OF PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO. IF YOU WILL PLEASE CALL THE ROLL.

>> COMMISSIONER INGALSBE. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER JONES.

>> YES. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SMITH.

>> YES. >> JUDGE BECERRA. >> YES, AND FOR THOSE OF YOU IN THE VIEWING AUDIENCE I HEARD CLEARLY COMMISSIONER SHELL SAY YES.

>> YES. >> THANK YOU. WE HAVE I'M NOT SURE IF YOU'RE READY OR HOW IT'S GOING TO WORK FOR YOU BUT WE HAVE MISS SHERRY BOYETTE AND LORINE LONI ON THE LINE TO SPEAK IF WE WILL GIVE EACH ONE OF THEM A TIMER PLEASE. FIRST MISS SHERRY.

NOTHING? IT SEEMS AS THOUGH MISS BOYETTE YOU ARE MUTED.

WILL YOU PLEASE UNMUTE ON YOUR END. WE'RE GOING TO GO ON TO LOREEN.

[00:20:05]

IS SHE AVAILABLE? >> I'M SORRY. IP JUST HAVE IT WRITTEN.

SORRY THAT'S YOU. >> NO, I WANTED TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T TAKE ANYBODY'S SPOT.

P GOOD MORNING. THANK YOU FOR THE INVITATION TO BE HERE THIS MORNING.

MY NAME IS LAURA LONI AND I'M THE TEXAS DIRECTSOR FOR THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES. MAYBE MORE IMPORTANTLY, I WAS BORN AND SPENT MOST OF MY TIME IN HAYS COUNTY ALTHOUGH I LIVE IN AUSTIN NOW. I GREW UP IN BUDA I WAS THRILLED WHEN SHERRY REACHED OUT TO ME LAST WEEK IT TELL ME WITH THIS EFFORT TO DEDLAR AWARENESS MONTH. IT'S GREAT TO SEE THE KIDS IN MY HOMETOWN WORKING TO RAISE THE AWARENESS OF SPAYING AND NEUTERING PETS. THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO REMIND ALL TEXANS THAT NEUTERING AND SPAYING WILL SAVE LIVES AND ONLY HELP TO REDUCE ANIMAL HOMELESSNESS AND EUTHANASIA HERE IN HAYS COUNTY, SO THANK YOU FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY AND FOR ALL THE

FANTASTIC WORK Y'ALL ARE DOING. >> BEAUTIFUL. WELL DONE, LAUREN.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. WE APPRECIATE YOU TUNING IN THIS MORNING.

DO WE HAVE MISS BOYETTE ABLE TO SPEAK? >> I CAN SEE HER.

>> NO? THERE. >> REPORTER: GOOD MORNING IS IT

A THERE YOU ARE! WE'RE ABOUT TO LET YOU GO. >> NEVER COULD.

THAT NEVER, NEVER. GOOD MORNING. I'M AN ANIMAL ADVOCACY ADVISER AND LIAISON FOR HAYS COUNTY. SO CONGRATULATIONS COURT, JUDGE ON AND ALL IN THE PRECINCT ON THE PROGRAM INISH TIFZ. HAVE YOU SEEN THE ANIMAL SHELTER LIVE ACTION NUMBERS? -- INITIATIVES. NOVEMBER WAS 91%. DECEMBER 98%.

JANUARY, 97%. THAT DID NOT HAPPY ABOUT ACCIDENT.

YOUR PASSIONATE LEADERSHIP ALONG WITH A GIFT AND YOUR SUPPORT ACCOMPLISHED THIS.

PASSIONATE OWNERSHIP.

ANIMAL SHELTER 4,7021 ANIMALS LAST YEAR. 4,242 ANIMALS.

THAT IS NEARLY 5,000 ANIMALS A YEAR. DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO -- ANIMALS IN OUR COMMUNITY AND THIS IS A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AWARENESS.

P RETURN FOR THE PIECES OF THE INITIATIVE. -- PTION -- YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE IMPLEMENTATION PLAN COMMITTEE -- I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY -- INSTEAD I'M SUPPOSED TO SAY POSITIVE OUTCOME. OK WHATEVER. REALLY? POSITIVE OUTCOME. WE WANT POSITIVE OUTCOMES. WELL THANK YOU.

THANK YOU FROM THE PEOPLE AND YOUR PET. THE LAST TIME KITTENS THE -- THANK YOU FROM THE SHELTER STAFF AND ANIMAL PROTECTION OFFICERS EACH PLORNG AFRAID --

[00:25:37]

TO THE ANIMAL SHELTER -- LEADERS. -- HAYS COUNTY COMMUNITY LEADERS.

SPAY AND NEUTER --

EDUCATE PART OF RESPONSIBILITY CITIZENS --. >> THANK YOU, MISS BOYETTE.

WE REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR PASSION AND LAUREN'S AS WITH. WE REALLY GENUINELY GRATEFUL TO

HAVE YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS IN THIS COMMUNITY. >> THANK YOU FOR YOUR

LEADERSHIP. THANK YOU FOR YOUR LEADERSHIP. >> THANK YOU.

AND WE ALREADY VOTED ON AGENDA ITEM NUMBER ONE. I WILL ASK THAT WE PLEASE OPEN

[2. Update from the County Judge and staff regarding the Local Disaster Declaration and COVID-19. Possible discussion and action may follow. BECERRA]

AGENDA ITEM NUMBER TWO. >> NUMBER TWO, UPDATES FROM THE COUNTY JUDGE AND STAFF REGARDING THE LOCAL DISASTER DECLARATION AND COVID-19. POSSIBLE DISCUSSION AND ACTION

MAY FOLLOW. >> SO AS YOU WELL KNOW, WE ARE UNDER WAY WITH OUR VACCINATION EFFORTS. ALTHOUGH WE HAVE VERY MICROLOW QUANTITIES OF VACCINATIONS IN HAYS COUNTY. EVERY SINGLE TIME WE OPEN UP OUR VACCINATION SITE AND I'VE BEEN THERE EVERY SINGLE TIME, EVERY SINGLE DAY, EVERY SINGLE ONE. ALL THE FEEDBACK THAT I'M RECEIVING FROM EVERYONE THAT HAS MOVED THROUGH THAT EFFORT HAS BEEN POSITIVE AND I'M JUST THEFUL THAT DURING THIS TOUGH TROUBLING STRESSFUL TIME, NOT EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS ROSY BUT AT LEAST THIS PART THAT THE COUNTY DROLS IS, AND SO I CONSIDER THAT A TINY VICTORY FOR US.

AND FOR THAT AT THIS MOMENT, BECAUSE WE ALL NEED RAYS OF HOPE.

MR. VILLALOBOS. >> ALEX VILLALOBOS COUNTY CHIEF OF STAFF EMERGENCY COORDINATOR.

AGAIN, JUST TO THANK SOME OF THE MEMBERS OF THE AUDIENCE, THE FIRST RESPONDERS THAT ARE HERE.

SOME OF THESE DECISION MAKERS THAT ARE HERE HELPING US PLAN OUR DISTRIBUTION SIDE IS HELPING US HOW TO PLAN AND ENGAGE THE COMMUNITY AND ALL THE DIFFERENT PLACES WE HAVE SET UP VACCINATION DISTRIBUTION. LAST NIGHT WE HAD OUR DISTRIBUTION IN WIMBERLEY AT THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. WE DISTRIBUTED 762 VACCINATIONS LAST NIGHT.

WITH REGARDS TO OUR PREREGISTRATION LIST ONE OF THE THINGS WE'RE FINDING AND THESE ARE THE THINGS WE ANTICIPATE WE HAVE A PASSIVE RESPONSE TO VACCINE DISTRIBUTION IS THAT YOU WILL START TO SEE INCREASED GAPS WHERE PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY REGISTERED IN OTHER LOCATIONS AND IT INCREASES OUR RATE OF PEOPLE ALREADY VACCINATED. SO IT INCREASES OUR -- THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT WE HAVE TO LOCATE THROUGHOUT THE DAY TO FILL IN THAT GAP.

AND THAT PUTS A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF STRESS ON THE STAFF AND IN DOING THAT BUT WE'RE WHOPG THE TRANSITION INTO THE NEW SYSTEM THAT WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT LATER ON TODAY WILL BE MORE OF AN ACTIVE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM TO A PREREGISTRATION LIST.

LAST NIGHT I BELIEVE THAT WE WERE TALKING TO COMMUNITY MEMBERS.

WE WERE LUCKY THAT WE HAD THE COMMUNITY MEMBERS THAT WERE THERE LOCAL TO WIMBERLEY.

WE HAD COUNCIL MEMBERS PART OF VOLUNTEERING IN THE DISTRIBUTION AND ALLOWED US TO COLONEL LATE -- COLLATE OUR ACTIVE LIST TO ADDRESS SOME OF THE GAPS THAT WE HAD.

I KNOW WE WERE THERE WELL BEYOND 10:30 LAST NIGHT. I KNOW I BELIEVE THE 10:30 YESTERDAY EVENING FROM THE DISTRIBUTION AND I BELIEVE THE LAST THREE OR FOUR PEOPLE WERE COMING IN TO DO THE FINAL VACCINATIONS. AGAIN ALL THE VOLUNTEERS STOOD BY TO ASSIST NEWS THAT DISTRIBUTION. FIRST RESPONDERS STOOD BY TO THE VERY TEND TO MAKE SURE THAT WE HAD SERVICES NEEDED TO MEET EXPECTATIONS OF PEOPLE THAT WERE COMING INTO THE DISTRIBUTION CENTER. WE HAVE OUR SECOND DAY TODAY AT THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. I KNOW 245 WE WERE ANTICIPATING IN DRIPPING

[00:30:02]

SPRINGS, BUT WE STILL HAVE NOT HAD CONFIRMATION ON THE DELIVER OF VACCINATIONS FOR THAT LOCATION AT THIS POINT. SO WE'RE STILL WAIT -- WAITING TO RECEIVE THEM.

I THINK THAT WAS THE LAST CONSERVATION OF THE STAFF OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT.

>> PERFECT. ANY QUESTIONS FOR MR. VILL VILLALOBOS?

ALITY THIS MOMENT WITH WHAT HE'S COVERED? >> I'M NOT SURE IF THE MR. VILLALOBOS IS THE APPROPRIATE PERSON TO ASK, BUT I DID FORWARD AN EMAIL, A VOICE MESSAGE YESTERDAY BECAUSE SOMEONE IN THE KYLE AREA RECEIVED AN EMAIL SAYING THAT HER APPOINTMENT WAS -- SHE HAD TO BE THERE AT 7:00 TO 7:15, AND IT DID NOT SAY A.M. OR P.M..

SO SHE WENT IN THE A.M. AND THERE WERE SEVERAL, SHE SAID, ELDERLY PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE WAITING. AND HER SON HAD TO TAKE A DAY OFF TO TAKE HER, SO SHE WAS A LITTLE UPSET SO WE CLARIFIED THAT WE ARE IDENTIFYING WHETHER IT'S A.M. OR P.M.? BECAUSE SHE JUST ASSUMED IT WAS A.M., SO SHE WENT AND HAD TO DRIVE ALL THE WAY BACK TO KYLE

FROM WIMBERLEY. >> IF YOU DON'T MIND I'D LIKE TO LET MIKE JONES ADDRESS THAT IF YOU DON'T MIND MR. MIKE JONES. OUR EMERGENCY SERVICES DIRECTOR MIKE JONES.

>> GOOD MORNING, GORDON. MIKE JONES. >> YES, WE DID ADDRESS THAT.

THE REGISTRATION WHEN PEOPLE SIGNED UP IT'S TIME FOR -- AFTERNOON OR SIGNED UP FOR THE EVENING. SO WE SENT REMINDERS OUT THEY KNEW IT WAS THE AFTERNOON OR THE EVENING. SO WE CORRECTED THAT AND ENSURED IT WAS OTHER REMINDERS AFTERNOON TIME FRAME. SHE WASN'T THE ONLY ONE. WE HAD THE SAME ISSUE SO YOU HAD MORE THAN ONE PERSON COME IN OBVIOUSLY NEED TO ADDRESS SOMETHING, AND I'M GLAD THAT THAT THE ONLY ISSUE WE HAD THAT DAY. IT'S A POSITIVE BECAUSE PEOPLE, WE DIDN'T GET ANY NASTY EMAILS WITH REGISTRATION, SO PEOPLE LIKE THAT AND THIS NEW SYSTEM YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO BE ADDRESSING LATER ON TODAY I THINK WILL MAKE THIS EVEN MORE TURN KEY AND THE THINGS YOU ADDRESSED, PASTOR. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT AND LOOKING FORWARD TO GO FORWARD IN THE COUNTY. AS I SAID WE LEAD THE WAY.

ANY WAY. YOU HAVE A QUESTION MA'AM? >> THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE

CLARIFICATION AND THE CORRECTION. >> COMMISSIONER?

>> YEAH, I JUST I TALKED TO KIM EARLIER AND LATER LAST WEEK, AND MY CONCERN IS THAT WE JUST NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB OF SECRETARY THE EXPECTATION TO THE PUBLIC, THAT YOU KNOW PROBABLY THEIR BEST CHANCE OF GETTING VAKS NALTED IS PROBABLY NOT THROUGH THE COUNTY -- VACCINATED.

ALSO WE DON'T HAVE A CHOICE WHETHER SOMEONE COMES FROM EL PASO TO COME HERE.

I THINK WE NEED TO DO A LITTLE BETTER JOB OF MANAGING EXPECTATION OF WHAT THE PUBLIC

CAN EXPECT. >> COMMISSIONER? COMMISSIONERS?

>> YEAH. >> COMMISSIONERS. >> YOU KNOW, I JUST HAD MR. VILLALOBOS, I WANTED TO FOLLOW UP ON OUR CONVERSATION FROM LAST WEEK AND TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE I GUESS IT WAS THE WEEK BEFORE LAST NOW. THE CONCERNS WE BROUGHT UP.

WE KNOW AND TO COMMISSIONER JONES STATEMENT ON EXPECTATIONS. WE HAD EXPECTATION THAT'S WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET THE DOSAGES THAT WE NEED HERE, AND I THINK THAT WE ALL UNDERSTAND WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET THOSE DOSES IN A TIMELY FASHION OR AT LEAST WHAT WE'D LIKE IT SEE.

I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING EXCEPT COMPLIMENTARY STATEMENTS FROM THOSE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN ABLE TO REGISTER AND GO THROUGH THE PROCESS. I CAN TELL YOU FROM EVERY ONE PERSON I HEARD FROM WHO GOT THE VACCINE, WHO WENT THROUGH THE PROCESS AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE ACTUAL ADMINISTRATION OF THE VACCINE ITSELF. I'VE HEARD FROM 20 TO 30 PEOPLE, WHO WERE EITHER CIKSD OUT OF THE SYSTEM OR THE SYSTEM DIDN'T WORK -- KICKED.

ARE THERE WERE OTHER ISSUES THERE. I CAN TELL YOU, IT WAS A DEBACLE THE FIRST TIME WE TALKED ABOUT IT IN COURT TWO WEEKS AGO, AND THERE WAS DIRECT OF ASSURANCES.

JUDGE, YOU TALKED ABOUT THIS TOO OF BEING ABLE TO RECTIFY THAT ON THE SECOND SIGNUP.

I THINK IT'S VERY SHORTSIGHTED OF US WHENEVER THOSE FAILURES OCCURRED TO SAY WE DIDN'T GET ENOUGH VACCINE OR IF YOU'VE GOT A PROBLEM WE NEED TO CONTACT THE STATE BECAUSE WE DIDN'T GET ENOUGH. IT WAS A FAILURE ON OUR PART. IT WAS YOU'RE ON OUR PART OF THE COUNTY. THAT'S HOW I VIEWED IT. WE CAN'T HAVE EXPECTATIONS OUT THERE THAT WE'RE GOING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM FOR EVERYBODY. I DON'T THINK WE'RE SETTING

[00:35:04]

EXPECTATIONS BUT YOU HAVE TO BE VERY REALIST WHIK WE TALKED TO THOSE POPULATIONS ESPECIALLY THOSE WITHOUT ANY ACCESS OR THOSE WHO WE ONLY HAVE A PHONE NUMBER FOR THEM.

I KNOW THAT SOME OF THE NUMBERS WE HEARD LAST WEEK IS WE HAD 100,000 PEOPLE TRY TO CALL IN OR

HOW MANY PEOPLE TRIED TO CALL IN TO THE NUMBER THAT WE HAD. >> WE HAD 10,000 PER HOUR.

>> 10,000 PER HOUR. >> I'LL ANSWER THAT MORE COMPLETELY.

WE AS A COUNTY HAVE -- I SAID A FEW THINGS. SPECIFICALLY ON THE PHONE.

>> SO SPECIFICALLY ON THE PHONE AND THE LOG-IN BOTH TOGETHER WITHIN 30 MINUTES BECAUSE I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH CHUCK MCGILL TRYING TO GET THAT INFORMATION, GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING BECAUSE THE ENTIRE GLOBAL PANDEMIC IS UPON US AND WHEN YOU HAVE OVER 70,000 PEOPLE TRYING TO GET A VACCINATION, WHICH WE GOT FEWER THAN 2,000, AND MANY PEOPLE SAID IT DIDN'T WORK.

I IMMEDIATELY WENT TO OUR I.T. AND SAID, DID THE SYSTEM NOT WORK? AND HE SAID, IT WORKED. WHAT HAPPENED WAS ALMOST 70,000 OR OVER 70,000 PEOPLE TRYING TO GET IN A 30-MINUTE WINDOW OF TIME BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL CLAMORING TO GET A VACCINATION.

ALTHOUGH YOU MAY CALL IT A HAYS COUNTY FAIL. IF YOU WOULD GET CLOSER TO THE FACTS, I THINK YOU WOULD RECONSIDER THAT ALL THOSE PEOPLE THAT HAVE WORKED SO HARD IN I.T., SO HARD IN THE EMERGENCY RESPONSE, SO HARD IN THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT HAVE NOT FAILED.

I THINK THEY HAVE DONE AN EXCEPTIONAL JOB AND WEF A STRONG PASSION TO SERVE EVERY VULNERABLE PERSON IN THIS COMMUNITY -- WE HAVE. SO I'M NOT TAKING OFFENSE TO YOUR COMMENT. I'M JUST SIMPLY GOING TO STATE IT AS A RESPONSE SO FAR THAT YOU

JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THAT LIGHT. >> AT THE END OF THE DAY WE AS COMMISSIONERS DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY THE SYSTEM DIDN'T WORK.

I THINK THE ADMINISTRATION WORKED. I THINK THE ADMINISTRATION AGAIN, I'VE HEARD NOTHING BUT POSITIVE THINGS ABOUT THEM. I'M VERY EXCITED TO SEE THE AGENDA ITEM TODAY AND I'LL BE SUPPORTIVE OF THIS NEW AGENDA ITEM TODAY AND THE SIGN-UP SYSTEM. I THINK IT'S A GOOD STEP MANY THE RIGHT DIRECTION, BUT TELLING OUR CITIZENRY THAT SORRY YOU THE GET IN AND WE DON'T WANT TO TAKE YOUR NAME THOSE KIND OF THINGS WE SAW IT COMING AFTER THE FIRST WEEK. WE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN. WE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. AND CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG DID, WE -- DID WE NOT ANTICIPATE IF YOU DO SOMETHING ONCE AND IT DOESN'T WORK, AND YOU WANT -- THERE'S NOT AN EXPECTATION THAT YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE A DIFFERENT WRULT EXACT SAME INPUTS THE

SECOND TIME. >> I WILL ANSWER THAT QUESTION. >> THAT'S WHAT MY CONCERN IS.

>> I WILL ABSOLUTELY ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR YOU, AND I WILL ANSWER IT BECAUSE I WANT IT TO BE AN ACCURATE DEPICTION BECAUSE THIS IS A COURT THAT THE COMMUNITY LOOKS -- LOOKS TO, RESPONSE ON COVID AND THIS INSTANCE, AND I FIND IT VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE PLACE THINGS IN WAYS THAT WE THINK ARE MOST ACCURATE BECAUSE YOU AND I CAN BOTH SEE THE SAME THING AND STILL SEE IT DIFFERENTLY. AND SO MY ONLY ATTEMPT TO SET CLARTS WHERE THERE IS APPARENTLY NOT ENOUGH IT WAS ONLY ONE WEEK AND MAYBE A COUPLE OF DAYS THAT WE OPENED THE -- CLARITY -- THE PREREGISTRATION PORTAL SINCE OUR VACCINES. SO ALTHOUGH THE DESCRIPTION, THE WORDS WITH WHICH YOU ARE DESCRIBING THE EVENT THAT TOOK PLACE THAT NO ONE WAS HAPPY WITH THAT NO ONE LIKED WAS SO SHORT LIFT -- SHORT-LIVED THAT THIS TEAM OF EMERGENCY RESPONSE FOLKS WORKED SO TIRELESSLY ON REMEDYING THAT THEY WERE I WOULD ALMOST SAY REINVENTING USES OF SOFTWARE SOFTWARE TO ADDRESS THIS BECAUSE EVERY CALL YOU GOT YOU'RE PRECINCT FOUR I'M COUNTY WIDE. WE FEEL THIS FRONT AND CENTER HOT AND HEAVY AND THE CONCERN YOU WERE CONVEYING IS AN ALREADY TALKED ABOUT DURING LAST COURT AND WAS ADDRESSED AND IT IS COMPLETELY COMPLETELY PROHIBITED BECAUSE OF THE TECHNOLOGY IMPROVEMENTS I.T. HELPED WITH.

[00:40:10]

THE FACTS THAT SOMEONE SAID THEY ARE NOT RECEIVING THE MOST INFORMATION I THINK WE'RE COMMUNICATIVE SPACE. TO REITERATE, WE ARE NOT ONLY COMMUNICATING DIGITSALLY, WE ARE -- DIGITALLY, WE ARE COMMUNICATING THANKS TO OUR PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER KIM HILLSENBECK. WE'RE COMMUNICATING THROUGH TELEVISION.

WE'RE COMMUNICATING THROUGH PRINT OF THE DIFFERENT PAPERS COUNTYWIDE.

WE ARE COMMUNICATING THROUGH FACEBOOK. OFFICIAL COUNTY AND MY -- MY JUDGE'S FACEBOOK. WE ARE COMMUNICATING THROUGH TWITTER.

WE'RE COMMUNICATING THROUGH WORD OF MOUTH. WE'RE COMMUNICATING THROUGH HANDWRITTEN FLYERS. WE'RE COMMUNICATING THROUGH TEXT ASKING PEOPLE TO SIGN UP FOR TEXT. AND WITHIN EVEN WE CREATED A WEEKLY FRIDAY ADDRESS TO SHARE MORE INFORMATION AND ONGOING UPDATES. ALL THAT IS STILL LACED WITH TELLING FOLKS, BECAUSE I'M PART OF THAT COMMUNICATION. BY NO MEANS I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON COMMUNICATING BUT I'M DEFINITELY PUSHING FOR MAXIMUM COMMUNICATION.

SO WITHIN ALL THOSE COMMUNICATION CHANNELS I'M TELLING FOLKS PLEASE, WE KNOW THAT EVERYTHING MINUS SMOKE SIGNALS IS BEING BY THE COUNTY. I CHALLENGE YOU TO SHOW ME ANOTHER WAY TO COMMUNICATE THAT WE'RE NOT, BESIDES DOOR-TO-DOOR RIGHT NOW.

AND I ASK YOU. I CHALLENGE YOU VIEWING THIS, READING THIS, WATCHING THIS TO PLEASE REACH OUT TO YOUR CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE, YOUR FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS, FAMILY, THAT DON'T RECEIVE THIS INFORMATION. I FIND IT DURING THIS VERY CHALLENGING TIME THAT I'VE SEEN FIRSTHAND AND I'M SO PROUD OF EVERYBODY WITH A BADGE AND A SHIELD WORKING SO HARD TO SERVE YOUR COMMUNITY. I DON'T CARE WHAT GEO FENCING, WHAT FOOTPRINT, WHAT JURISDICTION THEY ARE IN. EVERYBODY IS HOW CAN WE HELP? THAT IS SO REWARDING IT SEE THE UNITY PIECE. AND SO FOR SOMEONE TO I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE.

IN CASE SOMEONE IS WATCHING TO FRAME THAT OUR TEAM OF EMERGENCY RESPONSE FOLKS ISN'T COMMUNICATING ENOUGH OR ISN'T DOING ENOUGH TO GET THESE REALLY ULTRALOW VACCINATION EFFORTS MOST EFFICIENTLY HANDLED. I FIND IT I WOULD GO SO FAR AS TO SAY I FIND INSENSITIVE.

>> JUDGE, I DON'T THINK THAT'S THE CASE AT ALL. I THINK YOU'RE MISREADING IT.

MY CONCERN IS THIS AND I CAN TELL YOU I CANNOT COMPLIMENT OUR TEAM OVER HERE ANY MORE THAN I WOULD ANYBODY THEY HAVE DONE A PHENOMENAL JOB UNDER SOME VERY STRESSFUL SITUATIONS AND VERY STRESSFUL CIRCUMSTANCES. THE PEOPLE MORE IMPORTANTLY, I SINCERELY APPRECIATE THE VOLUNTEERS WHO ARE OUT THERE WORKING WITH OUR TEAM, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, I APPRECIATE THE TIME THAT THESE FOLKS SPENT AWAY FROM FAMILIES, THE TIME THEY HAVE SPENT IN THEIR COMMUNITY THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO ON TOP OF THE JOBS THEY ALREADY HAVE. I APPRECIATE THAT.

THE CONCERN I HAVE IS WHENEVER WE SAT HERE TWO WEEKS AGO WE SAID OK, THESE ARE GOING TO BE PROBLEMS. WE NEED TO KNOW THAT THIS HAPPENED.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM RIGHT? LET'S TALK ABOUT A SOLUTION HOW TO ADDRESS THAT BEFORE THIS HAPPENED AGAIN. AND I WOULD HAVE HAD HAD CONVERSATION LAST GEEK WE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN COURT LAST TUESDAY PRIOR TO THIS, THE CREATION OF NEW SYSTEM THAT WE HAVE. WE DIDN'T HAVE COURT LAST WEEK. WE LEFT COURT WITH SOME VERY DIRECT ASSURANCE THAT'S THESE SPECIFIC ITEMS ARE GOING TO BE ADDRESSED AND WE'RE GOING TO CREATE A SYSTEM WHEREBY THEY WOULD BE ADDRESSED AND IT WAS PLEASE LET ME FINISH.

IT WASN'T BEFORE THE NEXT TIME, OK? I CAN TELL YOU THAT THE SYSTEM WE HAVE NOW, THE SYSTEM WE'RE CONSIDERING TODAY, I IS A DIRECT RESULT AS THE FAILURE WE HAD A SECOND TIME. IF WE HAVE NOT HAD THE SAME FAILURE THE SECOND TIME WOULD WE BE CONSIDERING A NEW SYSTEM TODAY? I DON'T THINK SO.

I THINK THIS THAT'S -- >> YOU'RE MISCHARACTERIZING THE EVENTS, SIR.

I'M. >> I'M ASKING. >> I WANT YOU TO BE FAIR BECAUSE WHEN YOU TRY TO DESCRIBE WHAT YOU'RE SAYING I WANT YOU TO KNOW SIR I WILL NOT LAY DOWN ON THIS.

THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE WORKING TOO HARD. >> I DON'T KNOW WHY WE'RE AT

ODDS. YOU'RE SAYING WHAT I'M SAYING. >> I THINK THE ODDS IS YOUR TIMING. THERE WAS OWE THROW WAS AN ADDRESSING OF THE VACCINATION

[00:45:01]

PORTAL. THE GOVERNMENT WAS A WEEK LATE -- WE'LL GO OVER THIS AGAIN.

THE GOVERNMENT WAS A WEEK LATE GETTING OUR VERY FIRST DOSES SO I HAD A CHOICE IT MAKE AND YOU GUYS COULD LOVE IT OR HATE IT. I HAD A CHOICE IT MAKE. DO I LEAVE THE VACCINE SITTING ON THE SHELF WEEK OR DO WE TELL THE COMMUNITY THEY ARE HERE AND WE DISPENSE THEM AND SO THE VACCINES WERE A WEEK LATE FROM THE STATE. SO THE BUCK STOPS WITH ME.

I DON'T THINK IN A VACUUM AND I ALWAYS ASK FOR PEOPLE'S OPINIONS.

NEVER THE RES -- LESS THE DECISION WAS MADE. LET'S ROLL THESE OUT.

BY THE TIME WE THOUGHT THEM OUT AND. >> IT WAS THE RIGHT DECISION, JUDGE. IT WAS THE RIGHT DECISION MOO THANK YOU.

NUMBER TWO, THE ONLY OTHER TIME WHICH WE TALKED ABOUT IN COURT IS WHEN I GAVE PLENTY OF NOTICE.

THAT'S THE ONLY OTHER TIME, OK. WE TALKED ABOUT IT IN COURT AND THE GOVERNMENT SENT US -- THE STATE SENT US VACCINES AS SCHEDULED, AS PROMISED. BECAUSE WE RECEIVED THE VACCINES AS PROMISED, I HAD THE PRIVILEGE TO TELL THE COMMUNITY WITH PLENTY OF HEADS-UP, GUYS, THESE ARE HERE AND ON THIS DAY WITH THIS MUCH HEADS UP. WE WILL GIVE YOU THAT OPPORTUNITY REGISTER FOR THEM. SADLY, THE STATE OF THE NATION STATE AND STATE AND REGION WE HAD OVER 70,000 PEOPLE WITHIN A 30-MINUTE WINDOW CLAMORING FOR THE VACCINES OF WHICH WERE COUNTY RESIDENTS. AND WE SAW THAT FOR THE FIRST TIME EVERYONE.

NEVERTHELESS, WE KNEW -- WE KNEW WAY BACK HAD BECAUSE THESE GUYS WERE ALL WORKING ON IT CREATING A PREREGISTRATION LIST. THE PROCESS WASN'T FINISHED AND NOT A WEEK JUST BARELY A WEEK, JUST TO BE FAIR, COMMISSIONER, JUST BARELY A WEEK SINCE WE HAD OUR FIRST VACCINATIONS DISPENSED. WE ALREADY HAD OUR REGISTRATION PORTAL OPEN.

I THINK AAS STRESSFUL AS THAT WAS, TRUST ME, WE ARE LIVING IF IT.

I THINK THAT'S PRETTY GOOD. WE COULD ALWAYS DO BETTER. HONESTLY.

EVERYONE CAN ALWAYS DO BETTER BUT I BELIEVE WITH WHAT HAS BEENED TO US IN THE TIMING WITH WHICH IT WAS SAID TO US, I BELIEVE THESE GUYS WERE EXCEPTIONALLY FAST AND I JUST

DON'T LIKE THE FRAMEWORK. >> I DO BELIEVE THAT THEY WERE VERY FAST IN GETTING THE VACCINE

AND I THINK THEY DID A GREAT JOB. >> REG STRITION TOO WITHIN A

WEEK OF THE FIRST VACCINES. I THINK THAT'S PRETTY FAST. >> MY CONCERN IS THAT AS WE MOVE INTO THIS NEW SYSTEM, AND I KNOW WE'RE GOING TO GET INTO THIS, INTO SPEAKING ABOUT THE NEW SYSTEM ON A LATER AGENDA ITEM, BUT MY CONCERN IS THAT AS WE MOVE INTO THIS NEW SYSTEM WITH THE DISTRIBUTIONS THAT WE HAVE, WE STILL DON'T HAVE AT THIS POINT AND CORRECT ME IF I'M

WRONG. I'M ASKING. >> YES, SIR.

>> WE STILL DON'T HAVE A VIABLE WAY FOR THOSE, IN MY OPINION, THE MOST VULNERABLE AMONGST US, THOSE -- THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE INTERNET ACCESS, THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE THOSE IN THEIR 70S AND 80S MAY NOT GET ON A COMPUTER. THAT PHONE SYSTEM IS GOING TO BE A PORTION OF THAT WE HAVE TO ADDRESS. AND I KNOW I'VE SPOKEN WITH AMY. I'VE SPOKEN TO MIKE ABOUT THAT.

I KNOW THERE'S NOT ONE THAT IS -- THERE'S NOT SOME GRAND GLORIOUS SYSTEM OUT THERE THAT WORKS. BUT IT MOVE INTO THIS AS WE ARE RIGHT NOW WITH NO VIABLE WAY FOR THOSE FOLKS TO PARTICIPATE UNLESS THEY ARE ONLINE I HAVE A REAL CONCERN ABOUT THAT.

I BROUGHT THAT UP TWO WEEKS AGO. IT'S STILL A CONCERN. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE 70 OR 10,000 AN HOUR. THERE ARE 100,000 PEOPLE TRYING TO CALL IT'S JUST NOT TENABLE FOR OUR RESIDENTS. LIKE I SAID, I TALKED TO SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO HAVE GONE THROUGH THE PROCESS. THEY SIGNED UP I HEARD IT ONCE. I WON THE LOTTERY.

>>S RIGHT. >> I DON'T KNOW ABOUT Y'ALL BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE IN THE

BUSINESS FOR HAVING THE LOTTERY FOR SOMEONE'S HEALTH. >> I AGREE.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE PREREGISTRATION LIST IS FOR. MIKE JONES IS WORKING WITH HIS TEAM VERY AGGRESSIVELY TO GET THAT RESULT. BECAUSE WE HAVE THE PREREGISTRATION LIST. I'M NOT TOUCHING THE PHONES PERSONALLY.

I'VE BEEN ASSURED WHEN THOSE FOLKS DMAUL BECAUSE THIS IS THE WEEK WE GET TO TURN IT ON.

WHEN THE FOLKS GET CALLED IN THEY ARE GOING TO BE TRIAGED ACCORDINGLY.

THEY AREN'T GOING TO GET THE BACK OF THE LIST BECAUSE THEY CALLED LAST.

SO THAT PHONE PIECE IS BEING ADDRESSED. I'M WATCHING MIKE JONES WORK

HARD TO GET THIS RESULT. >> JUST TO CAP OFF MORE OF YOUR CONCERNS, COMMISSIONER, WE HAD A CONFERENCE AND IT WAS LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO HAVE OUR REPRESENTATIVES THERE WITH THE

[00:50:03]

DHS TALK ABOUT. >> WHEN YOU SAY DSH IS? >> DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH STATE.

AND WE ASKED THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONS WILL YOU ALLOW US TO SET ASIDE X NUMBER OF VACCINES FOR THE NUMBER OF THE OLDER POPULATION THEY SAID BY ALL MEANS THEY REITERATED CERTAIN QUANTITIES. WE HAVE TO COME UP WITH A WAY TO SET ASIDE THE QUANTITY OF THAT.

CAN WE ADDRESS THE OTHER POPULATIONS? YES WE CAN BUT YOU INDUSTRIAL TO DO IT IN A WAY THAT AVAILS THOSE VACCINES THAT EVERYBODY WHICH CAN TARGET THOSE AREAS AND THERE ARE VERY SPECIFIC IN THAT. THERE WAS A LOT MORE COMFORTING TO US TO SURE THAT WE WERE ABIDING BY THE RULES AND REGULATION TO DO THAT. THE REASON I EVEN SAY THIS IS TO ADDRESS THOSE PARTICULAR THAT WE INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF VACCINES WE GET AND WE'RE STARTING TO VANSER IF THOSE BACK TO OUR PARTNERS OUR PLAN IS TO REACH OUT TO THOSE COMMUNITIES AND GO

TO THEM SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO COME TO US. >> CAN YOU EXPLAIN THAT?

>> WELL IT COULD BE ANY ONE OF OUR MOBILE UNITS THAT ARE DOING NOW IN THE COMMUNITY.

IT COULD BE ONE OF THE PROVIDERS IN OUR COMMUNITY THAT WE TRANSFER TO THEM.

IT WOULD BE ANY THE PHARMACIES IN THE COMMUNITY THAT HAVE THE CLIENTELE THAT WE COULD TARGET

THEM FOR THAT. >> IN PART MR. VILLAS WE'RE NOT SAYING SOME OF THAT STUFF BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO GIVE THE HOPE YET UNTIL WE GET VACCINES THAT A VAN COMING TO YOUR SPACE TO PROVIDE VACCINES UNTIL WE HAVE SOMETHING. THOSE GUYS HAVE LAYERS OF PLANS

WITH MORE VACCINESAR ROIF. >> I UNDERSTAND THAT. MY QUESTION IS -- THANK YOU FOR CLARIFYING THAT BECAUSE WHENEVER WE LOOK AT THOSE POPULATIONS RIGHT NOW I THINK THERE'S AN ASSUMPTION AND ACTUALLY ONE OF OUR EARLIER SPEAKERS ABOUT TARGETING THOSE SPECIFIC VULNERABLE POPULATIONS MANY, ON THE EAST SIDE OF 35. THERE IS -- I DON'T WANT IT SHORT CHANGE THE REST OF OUR COUNTY. AND WHENEVER I SAY THAT, THOSE VULNERABLE POPULATIONS THIS IS AS Y'ALL WELL KNOW, THIS BAR DOES NOT CARE IF YOU'RE RICH.

DOESN'T CARE IF YOU'RE POOR, WHITE, AFRICAN-AMERICAN. HISPANIC.

IT JUST CARES WHAT IT CAN GET TO OR NO. AT THE END OF THE DAY THE CONCERN I HAVE IS THAT WHEN WE LOOK AT THOSE VULNERABLE POPULATION THERE'S ARE SO MANY INDIVIDUAL CATEGORIES SUCH AS AGE, PREVIOUS HEALTH HISTORY, SOCIO-ECONOMICAL.

THOSE KIND OF THINGS. I JUST WANT TO ENSURE THAT AS WE TAKE A LOOK AT THOSE THINGS WE TAKE A SOLID LOOK COUNTYWIDE. THAT'S WHERE I HAVE A CONCERN. WHEN WE LOOK AT SOME OF THE OTHER STUFF THAT WE'VE DONE IT'S BEEN VERY TARGETED AND I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT.

LOOK I'M GOING TO SAY THAT I FEEL AT TIMES THAT SOME OF THE THINGS WE HAVE DONE, WE ARE SO EXCITESED TO TRY TO HELP PEOPLE THAT WE -- EXCITED TO HELP PEOPLE THAT WE LOSE SIGHT OF HEY WE'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING GOOD RIGHT HERE. WE'RE GOING TO HURRY UP AND GO DO SOMETHING REALLY GOOD RIGHT HERE, WHICH I THINK IS GRAVE. AT THE END OF THE DAY THE JOB IN FRONT OF US MAY NOT BE THE JOB WE HAVEMENT THE JOB WE HAVE IS TAKING CARE OF A WHOLE COMMUNITY NOT JUST THE GUY IN FRONT OF US. SO I JUST WANT YOU TO SHARE THAT WE'RE LOOKING AT THE WHOLE PICTURE, NOT JUST OK WE CAN SOLVE THIS ONE PROBLEM TODAY. AND I.

>> HE WITH LIMITED VACCINE WE'VE GOT IT SOLVE THE PROBLEM WE HAVE IN FRONT OF US.

BUT WE'VE GOT TO DO A BETTER JOB AND HOPEFULLY THIS NEW SYSTEM WILL DO THAT BUT WE HAVE TO DO A BETTER JOB ON THE FRONT END. AGAIN ON THE DISTRIBUTION ITSELF WE HAVE DONE A PHENOMENAL JOB.

ON THE SIGN-UP I DON'T HAVE A LOT OF CONFIDENCE. >> THAT'S OK.

THAT'S PERFECTLY FINE. I WOULD SAY TWO THINGS FIRST. FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION, SO BECAUSE YOUR PAIN IS IMPORTANT TO ME IT. REALLY.

IS FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION ANY TIME YOU WANT I8 HAPPILY -- ON ANY FRONT.

FOR EXAM WILL LAST NIGHT WE WERE ON A ZOOM CALL. I DON'T KNOW THE SOFTWARE THEY WERE USING. MAYBE IT WAS TEAMS WITH A NEIGHBOR PURELY OLDER RESIDENTS.

AND SO WE DO SEE THE ENTIRE COUNTY. WE'RE LOOKING AT ALL VARIABLES.

WHEN I WAS IN WIMBERLEY WALKING AND ASSESSING THE WONDERFUL JOB THAT OUR TEAM HAS DONE SETTING UP THE WIMBERLEY VALLEY WITH VACCINATIONS, ONE OF THOSE TOPICS -- I DON'T EVEN NEED IT

[00:55:04]

PUT THEM ON THE SPOT WITH MIKE JONES WAS MAKING SURE THAT WE TOUCHED ALL THESE DIFFERENT SPACES OF VULNERABILITY AND MAKING SURE THAT WE HAD JUST REITERATED, BECAUSE I KNOW THESE GUYS HAVE IT DOWN. MAKING SURE I'M REITERATING AS THE DIRECTOR THESE PIECES THAT ROCK ADDRESSED. AND NEXT WEEK AGAIN BECAUSE NEXT WEEK WE HAVE IT PLANT WAITING WITH THE CATCHERS MITT FOR THE STATE TO SEND US THE VACCINES, BECAUSE WE ARE WAITING.

WE'RE TOUCHING EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF THIS AND GENUINELY PASSIONATELY SERVING THE WHOLE COMMUNITY AND WITH VACCINES THE WHOLE STATE BUT WE SEE HERE AND WE'RE TOTALLY HERE AND CALL ME ME ANY DAY AND NIGHT. I'LL ADDRESS ANY CONCERN FOR YOU.

>> I APPRECIATE IT. MY CONCERN IS IF I'VE GOT 30 OR 40 CONFRACTION CONSTITUENTS IF I'M CALLING YOU I KNOW THAT EVERY ONE OF MY COLLEAGUES ON THIS COURT GOT A NUMBER OF CALLS WHENEVER THEIR SYSTEM DIDN'T WORK, TOO. I WOULD ASSUME OF THE I CAN I SUSMT YOU CAN ONLY TALK TO ONE OF US ABOUT IT. AT THAT POINT, IF Y'ALL COULD

COMMUNICATE TO US WHAT'S GOING ON WITH IT. >> RIGHT.

>> THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL. AND I KNOW YOU CAN'T DO IT DIRECTLY WITH US.

>> I WILL ASK YOU THIS AND I'M NOT TRYING TO BE SILLY, BUT WITH ALL OF THESE AND I PROMISE THIS IS NOT A JAB. IT MAY COME ACROSS THAT WAY BUT IT'S NOT.

THIS IS HOW IT SOUNDS IN MY HEAD THOUGH. WITH ALL THESE AVENUES WE'RE DESCRIBING WITH OUR COMMUNICATION AND OUR P.O. PUTTING INFORMATION OUT AND EMAIL GOING OUT TO EVERYONE. IF YOU WILL PLEASE DO US ALL A HUGE FAVOR AND JUST REACH OUT TO ANYONE. TO MIKE, TO ALEX, I WOULD PLEASE TO KIM.

I WOULD LOVE TO EXPAND FURTHER BECAUSE MAN, I'M DOING THIS SEVEN DAYS A WEEK AND IT WOULD BE A PRIVILEGE TO HAVE A COURT MEMBER FROM WHO IS CATCHING THIS ENERGY WITH ME WHO WOULD ALSO BE ON THE SAME PAGE HELPING ME WITH THEIR FOOTPRINT. I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL AND

HONORED TO HAVE THAT COMMUNICATION. >> I'M MORE THAN -- LOOK RS WE EACH HAVE CONSTITUENCIES. I KNOW YOU HAVE THE WHOLE COUNTY BUT AT END OF THE DAY WE HAVE CONSTITUENCIES WE ANSWER TO AND I WOULD BE WLL ABSOLUTELY NOT DOING JOB GETTING THE NUMBER OF CONTACTS I'VE HAD IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS OF CONSTITUENTS IF I DIDN'T BRING THIS UP AND THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL JAB AT YOU JUDGE OR ALEX OR AT MIKE OR AT TAMMY OR GHOIB IS WORKING ON THIS.

THE FACT IS THAT IT'S OUR JOB AND WE SLNT THE CONVERSATIONS OUTSIDE THIS COURT -- HAVEN'T

HAD THE CONVERSATIONS OUTSIDE THIS COURT. >> JUST TO REITERATE THE FURTHER DISTRIBUTION. I KNOW THAT WILL ALSO ADDRESS THE LANGUAGE BECAUSE IT WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT IN A BILINGUAL WAY. IT WILL BE ABLE TO HELP US MAP OUT OUR DISTRIBUTION WITH IT MARRYING WITH OUR EVERBRIDGE PLATFORM AS WELL.

WE'RE STILL WORKING ON HOW THAT'S GOING TO WORK TOGETHER. BUT I KNOW IT ALSO ALLOWS TO PULL AND MINE DATA THAT ALLOWS US TO JUSTIFY OUR ACTION AND JUSTIFY OUR DISTRIBUTION.

THAT IS WHAT OUR GOAL IS WITH THIS SYSTEM. AND GIVES MORE TOOLS DO THAT SO WE DON'T HAVE A TEAM OF PEOPLE GOING OVER THE DATA AND REDISTRIBUTING THE DATA MAKING SURE WE'RE DOING IT RIGHT THIS. SHOULD WE HOPE FIX THAT PARTICULAR ISSUE.

WE STILL HAVE LIMITED STAFF. >> THE LAST PIECE I WILL ADD, ALEX, JUST TO TELL THE COMMUNITY WATCHING AND JUST SO YOU KNOW BECAUSE I KNOW YOU GENERALLY CARE.

I WILL ALSO TELL YOU THAT YESTERDAY WHEN WE HAD THIS MEETING WITH THE ELDER COMMUNITY SPECIFIC TO THEM, GIVING THEM ALL COVID TALK AND WIDE OPEN TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS AND WE ANSWERED ALL THEIR QUESTIONS SO THEY WOULD BE INFORMED. WE ALSO HAVE, BECAUSE I'M JUST GRATEFUL. I'M PRIVILEGED TO BE BILINGUAL. SO WE ALSO HAVE SCHEDULED THREE ZOOM MEETINGS FOR SPANISH SPECIFIC AND ON-SITE MANAGED CAREFULLY THROUGH CDC GUIDELINES, SO THAT WE C REACH ANYONE AND EVERYONE THAT WE CAN. TRUST ME, NO STONE IS LEFT UNTURNED. ED YOU CAN ALWAYS -- SO THE COMMUNICATION PIECE DOESN'T GET MESSED WITH. YOU CAN ALWAYS SHOOT ME AN EMAIL.

I WON'T REPLY WITH ANY ADDITIONAL ISSUES YOU MAY HAVE BECAUSE WE'RE GOING TO LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED IN EVERYTHING WE'RE DOING, AND WE'RE JUST GRATEFUL TO BE IN THIS SERVING CAPACITY AND CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A HAYS COUNTY TEAM FOR OUR RESIDENTS AS A WHOLE.

>> I DON'T HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS, BUT I DON'T KNOW COMMISSIONER SHELL.

>> OH, YES, SIR. THAT'S A GREAT POINT. COMMISSIONER SHELL WORKS YOU

LIKE IT ADD ANYTHING TO THE CONVERSATION? >> ZBLEE CAN Y'ALL HEAR ME?

>> YES, SIR. >> THANKS, JUDGE. I APPRECIATE THE JUDGE TO SAY A

[01:00:02]

FEW THINGS. FIRST OF ALL I WANTED TO THANK OUR STAFF FOR WORK ON THE REGISTRATION SYSTEM. I KNOW THEY PUT A LOT OF EFFORT INTO THAT.

THEY STILL HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO. TALK ABOUT THAT LATER.

STILL WANT TO THANK THEM FORGETTING THAT GOING. IT WAS MUCH BETTER THAN IT WAS AND I KNOW AWAS IMPORTANT TO THEM TO SOLVE THAT PROBLEM SO THANK YOU THE STAFFMENT I KNOW Y'ALL DO YOUR BEST. SOCIAL MEDIA AS WE PROGRESS THROUGH THIS.

I KNOW THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF COMPLAINTS AND I UNDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATION OF OUR CITIZENS AND I DON'T BLAME THEM FOR BEING FRUSTRATED. THE SYSTEM IS DEFINITELY FAR ARE PERFECT BUT I WANTED TO MAKE SURE THE STAFF UNDERSTOOD I APPRECIATE THEM FORGETTING REGISTRATION SYSTEM ONLINE, ALL THE WORK THEY PUT INTO THAT. I THINK IT WILL PAY OFF.

THE OTHER THING IS TO ENCOURAGE WORKING ON THIS SOLUTION. UNDERSTAND THAT THERE'S A SEGMENT OF OUR POPULATION. I KNOW THAT'S A CHALLENGE. I KNOW OUR STAFF IS WORKING ON THAT TOO. I APPRECIATE THAT AND KEEP WORKING ON THAT PHONE SYSTEM TO GETS THAT ONLINE. I WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW AS FAR AS DELIVERING VACCINES I'VE HEARD A LOT OF HOW SMOOTH THAT PROCESS IS, HOW ORGANIZED, SO JUST WANT EVERYBODY IT KNOW THAT, TOO. I KNOW SOMETIMES WE BOG DOWN ON THE NEGATIVES.

THERE'S PLENTY OF THOSE SITUATIONS BUT TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE THOSE ESPECIALLY YESTERDAY IN WIMBERLEY. THAT IS A MUCH NEEDED PLACE IN THE VACCINE AND ONLY HEAR GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE OPERATION. SO JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT,

JUDGE, AND I'LL STOP HERE. >> THANK YOU COMMISSIONER AND THANK YOU FOR THE CONSISTENT APPRECIATION FOR THE COMMUNITY'S EFFORT. REALLY IT'S A COMMUNITY EFFORT.

WE HAVE EVERYBODY ALL HANDS AN DECK DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN SO.

I APPRECIATE THOSE COMMENTS, COMMISSIONER. IF WE HAVE NOTHING ELSE ON THAT AGENDA ITEM, I'M GOING TO NOW CHERRY PICK THROUGH COURT ITEMS, AS I'VE SPOKEEN ABOUT IN THE PAST TO MOVE THE POPULATION ALONG. AND I CAN SEE THAT WE HAVE A GROUPING OF FOLKS HERE FOR AGENDA ITEMS 38 AND 39. SO IN THE SPIRIT OF TRYING TO KEEP EVERYONE MOVING, I WOULD LIKE IT SEE IF YOU WILL PLEASE OPEN AGENDA ITEM NUMBER 38.

[38. Discussion and possible action execute a Statement of Work with Westnet, Inc. related to a First-In Alerting Platform System for emergency responders as budgeted during the FY21 budget process. SHELL/MCGILL]

>> NUMBER 38. DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION TO EXECUTE A STATEMENT OF WORK WITH WEST INC. RELATED TO A FIRST-IF ALERTING PLATFORM SYSTEM FOR EMERGENCY RESPONDERS,

AS SUCH DURING THE FY-21 BUDGET PROCESS. >> SO MOVED.

>> SECOND. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SE SECOND.

>> WE HAVE JEFF MCGILL THE INFORMATION TENG SENT ARE THIS IS PART OF OUR ORIGINAL DESIGN AS WE WERE DESIGNING THE CAD SYSTEM MANY THE SAFETY BUILDING. WE HAD TO GET EVERYTHING UP AND RUNNING THE EXISTING CAD SYSTEM BEFORE WE COULD GET THIS STARTED.

BUT IT'S ALL ABOUT PRODUCING RESPONSE TIME AND GIVING TOOLS TO OUR PARTY IN THIS.

SO THAT THEY CAN HAVE BETTER RESPONSE. HE'S ACTUALLY RESIDENT EXPERT ON

THIS. >> SAY A LITTLE BIT ABOUT IT. >> I'LL RUN THE MEETING

MR. MCGILL. >> SORRY. I GOT A LITTLE TOO CARRIED AWAY.

>> I'M TEASING YOU. I'M DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU WERE SUGGESTING.

IT'S AYE JOKE. MR. SMITH, WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE CONVERSATION?

>> THANK YOU, JUDGE, COMMISSIONERS. KIND OF GENERAL CONTEXT OF WHAT THE SYSTEM ACTUALLY IS. SO IF YOU'RE IN THE COMMUNICATIONS CENTER DISPATCH COMMUNICATORS ARE TRYING AGAINST QUESTIONS AND THIS QUESTION GET PUT WHAT IS CALLED THE COMPUTER DISPATCH SYSTEM COMPUTER SOFTWARE SYSTEM. THAT SOFTWARE DEPENDSING ON WHAT THE QUESTIONS RL TELL THE DISPATCHER WHAT RESOURCES FROM THE COUNTY WILL BE SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. WHEN IT COMES TO -- ONE THING A LOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND IS THE MAJORITY OF YOUR PEOPLE ARE 24-HOUR SHIFTS. THEY COME IN AT 7:00 A.M. AND THEY GO TO 7:00 A.M. THE NEXT DAY. SOME AGENCIES WORK 48 HOURS STRAIGHT. PART OF THEIR SHIFT IS -- SO WHAT'S DIFFERENT FROM A POLICE OFFICER OR A SHERIFFS DEPUTIES ONLY ON YOUR STREET FOR EIGHT HOURS A GOOD PORTION OF THOSE PEOPLE SHIFT THE REST GO TO SLEEP. DON'T WANT TO CALL FOR SERVICE COMES IN, WE HAVE TO HAVE A VERY EFFICIENT WAY TO GET THE INFORMATION ARE THE CAD SYSTEM,

[01:05:02]

INTO THE EMSS, GET THE RESPONDERS TO WAKE UP OR GET THEIR ATTENTION, PROVIDE THE INFORMATION TO THEM. THIS -- THE PROCESS TO DO THAT IS THROUGH THE RADIO SYSTEM.

OUR PUBLIC RADIO SYSTEM WE HAVE HAD IN THE COUNTY SINCE THE 90'S.

THIS PRODUCT AUTOMATES THE PIECE THAT INTERGREATS WITH THE CAD SYSTEM WITH THE RADIO SYSTEM.

YOU CAN IMAGINE YOU HAVE, YOU CAN ONLY GUESS 25, 36 FIRE UNITS -- MORE PLANNED.

THERE'S A BUNCH. EVERY AGENCY HAS ITS ENRADIO CHANNELDS, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE, ITS OWN SOFTWARE, ALL INHOUSE. SO THIS SITUATION ALLOWS THEM TO COMBINE PLATFORMS. THE DISPATCHER WHERE THEY ANSWER THE QUESTION THEY PUT IT INTO THE CAD.

THE CAD SAYS NORTHEAST FIRE 7 1. THE DISPATCHER WHILE THEY ARE ON THE PHONE STILL AND LISTENING TO THED YO IN THE OTHER EAR HAVE TO TURN THE RADIO CONSOLE AND SAY OK, SEND THAT MEDIC UNIT AND THIS FIRE DEPARTMENT, THEY HAVE TO DO A BUNCH OF PROCEDURES ON THE RADIO SYSTEM TO TIE THINGS TOGETHER. THEY HAVE TO SEND DOWN THE WORK ACROSS THEIR WAVES AND THEY HAVE TO SPEAK. THAT WHOLE TIME THAT THEY ARE FOCUSING ON THAT, THEY ARE NOT FOCUSING ON. OTHER RADIO TRAFFIC. IF THEY ARE ON THE 911 CALL, THEY HAVE THE CALLER HERE BUT ARE NOT FOCUSING THEIR ATTENTION.

THEY ARE TRYING TO GET THOSE RESPONDERS AND IN BUSINESS TIMES IN BUSY TIMES WHEN THE FIREMEN ARE SLEEPING THEY WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY GOT NOTIFIED SO THEY HAVE TO WAIT SOMETIMES A MINUTE OR TWO HOPEFULLY WITH THE RADIO AND SAY, WE GOT THE CALL. WE'RE GOING TO BE -- SO THERE'S A LAG OF TIME THERE. JEFF TALKED ABOUT INCREASE RESPONSE TIME PERFORMANCE.

SO WHAT THE SYSTEM DOES IT TAKES AND TIES THE RADIO SYSTEM TO THE CAB.

WE NEAR THE COUNT PROI GRAMMER SO WHEN THE CAD SAYS SEND MORE FIRE AND MED TOIKS 71 AND HERE'S THE INFORMATION AND THIS SYSTEM CONFIGURE THE RADIO SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY AND PURRIZED VOICE DISPATCH WILL ANNOUNCE THE RESPONSE. GO BACK AND FOCUS AND LISTEN TO THE RADIO TRAFFIC BECAUSE THIS COUNTY AT TIMES THERE COULD BE TEN OR 15 INCIDENTS GOING ON IN THE COUNTY IN ONE TIME. LOTS OF RADIO TRAFFIC GOING ON SO IMPROVING THE EFFICIENCY AND THE RADIO SYSTEM IS PRONE TO A LOT OF HUMAN ERRORS. WE'RE AUTOMATING THIS BUT LEAVING THE DISPATCHERS. WE'RE AUTOMATING THE SYSTEM AND HAVINGY MORE CONSISTENT RESPONSE TIME. IF YOU BACK UP AND NOTICE I SAID THIS IS ONLY FOR THE CORE SYSTEM BECAUSE AT THE FIRE STATION SITE OVER THE NEXT FEW YEARS AND THE FIRE CHIEFS HERE, THEY ARE GOING TO BE INVESTING INTO SOME ADDITIONAL EDGE IN THE FIRE HOUSE THAT WILL ALLOW THEM TO ADDRESS FIRST RESPONDER NEEDS IN THE FIRE STATION, BUT THEY CAN'T CAN'T MAKE THAT INVESTMENT WITHOUT THIS CORE SYSTEM BEING INSTALLED FIRST. SO IT'S GOING TO BE SHARED BY

ALL FIRE IN THE COUNTY. >> AND I'D LIKE TO REITERATE TO THE FOLKS VIEWING CHIEF SMITH, THAT THIS IS GOING TO FOLD NEATLY INTO OUR NEW EMERGENCY SPACE THAT WE HAVE CREATED THE PUBLIC SAFETY BUILDING OFF STAGE COACH. FURTHER SYNCHRONIZATION OF OUR

ASSETS. >> YES, SIR. >> CORRECT?

>> IT WAS THE ORIGINAL I.T. FESSIFICATION -- SPECIFICATION IN 2017.

THE SPACE STARTED OUT OWE THOUGH IS JUST GETTING THE SOFTWARE AND THE SERVERS, AND PART OF THE CONTRACT WITH TYLER INCLUDES THE INTEGRATION. SO THAT'S IMPORTANT THEIR SCOPE OF WORK. THIS IS TO GET THE EQUIPMENT INSTALLED, CONFIGURED, AND GET THEM THAT'S WHY THERE'S TWO PARTS. ONE IS THE RADIO SYSTEM.

>> CHIEF I WANT TO THANK YOU PERSONALLY FOR SUCH A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF THE EVENTS AND HOW TIES BACK IN. I'M GENUINELY GRATEFUL. I KNOW OUR VIEWING AUDIENCE AS WELL. COMMISSIONER INGALSBE? QUESTIONS FOR THE CHIEF.

>> NO, I WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY FOR BEING HERE, THEY APPRECIATED.

THESE FUNDS WERE BUDGETED. WE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT IT AS YOU MENTIONED CHIEF AND JEFF FOR MANY YEARS NOW, AND THIS IS GOING TO BE A MORE FISHLT SERVICE -- EFFICIENT SERVICE WE CAN PROVIDE HOPEFULLY SHORTER RESPONSE TIMES, AND JUST GETTING INTO THE PERSONNEL WHERE THEY NEED TO BE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE.

>> WONDERFUL. ANYTHING ELSE COMMISSIONERS? ALL RIGHT.

[01:10:02]

THANK YOU, CHIEF. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. THANK YOU MR. MCGILL.

WE'VE GOT THIS. YES, SIR. PLEASE, COMMISSIONER SHELL IS ON

THE PHONE IF YOU'LL PLEASE YES, GIVE HIM THAT MIKE, PLEASE. >> JUST WANTED TO THANK CHIEF SMITH AND DEPUTY MCGILL FOR THEIR LEADERSHIP ON THIS. THIS HAS BEEN MANY YEARS COMING.

THANK YOU ALL. >> THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH COMMISSIONER SHELL. DR. CARDENAS, PLEASE CALL THE ROLL.

>> COMMISSIONER JONES. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SMITH.

>> ZBLEE COMMISSIONER SNOOIG COMMISSIONER SHELL. >> YES.

[39. Discussion and possible action execute a Construction Proposal with the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) related to the Westnet First-In Alerting Platform System and authorize a discretionary exemption pursuant to Texas Local Government Code 262.024(a)(7)(D). SHELL/MCGILL]

>> JUDGE BECERRA. >> YES. WE'RE GOING TO OPEN 39 AND TAKE

A SHORT BREAK. PLEASE OPEN 39. >> 39, DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION TO EXECUTE AN CONSTRUCTION BTZ LOWER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY RELATED TO THE WESTNET FIRST-IN ALERTING PLATFORM SYSTEM AND AUTHORIZE A DISCRETIONARY EXEMPTION PURSUANT

TO TEXAS LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE 262.024. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND

PLANNED MCGILL THE DIRECTOR OF I.T. AT THE PODIUM. >> THIS IS THE SECOND PART OF THE WESTNET RADIO SYSTEM TO ACCOMMODATE THIS. THIS IS THESE TWOITE RECOMMENDS

BUNDLED TOGETHER. >> RIGHT ON. THANK YOU, SIR.

>> ANY QUESTIONS FOR MR. MC, COMMISSIONER SHELL? THANK YOU.

DR. CARDENAS, PLEASE CALL THE ROLL. >> COMMISSIONER SMITH.

>> YES. >> COMMISSIONER INGALSBE. >> YES.

>> COMMISSIONER JONES. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SHELL.

>> SO THIS IS THE POINT WHERE WE'LL START IT BOUNCE AROUND AND MOVE AND ULTIMATELY EMPTY THE

[10. Authorize the execution of Resolution and submission of a grant application to the Office of the Governor, Criminal Justice Division, General Victim Assistance program for the Hays County Victim Assistance for the Family Justice Center in the amount of $54,868.74. BECERRA/T.CRUMLEY/W.MAU]

COURTHOUSE AS QUICKLY AS WE CAN IN A TIMELY MANNER SO I'LL START WITH AGENDA ITEM NUMBER TEN.

IF YOU WILL PLEASE OPEN AGENDA ITEM TEN. >> TEN, AUTHORIZE THE EXECUTION OF RESOLUTION AND SUBMISSION OF A GRANT APPLICATION TO THE OFFICE OF THE GOVERNMENT GENERAL VICTIM PROGRAM FOR THE HAYS COUNTY VICTIM ASSISTANCE FOR THE JUSTICE SENTER IN THE AMOUNT OF

$54,868.74. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND.

WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO ADDRESS THE PODIUM AND GIVES SOME COMMENTS BEFORE WE VOTE.

>> YES, YOUR HONOR. >> THIS AGENDA ITEM ALONG WITH THE NEXT ONE ARE BOTH TO ASSISTANCE PROGRAM WHICH HAS BEEN A TOP PRIORITY TONE ASSURE THAT VICTIMS OF CRIME IN HAZE COUNTRY KEPT ENGAGED IN THE SYSTEM THATNER NOTIFIED OF THEIR SETTING AND PROVIDE ACCESS TO RESOURCES WE CAN DIRECT THEM TO PLACE WHERE'S THEY CAN RECEIVE ASSISTANCE IF THEY NEED IT OUR COORDINATORS MAKE SURE THEY GHARS EXPECTATIONS ARE GOING TO BE GOING FORWARD.

THIS COURT, IT'S PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT HERE DURING COVID BECAUSE THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN IMPACT SOD GREATLY WITH THE NATURE OF COVID NOT ALLOWING THOSE GATHERINGS TO JURY TRIALS AND SO FORTH. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THE VICTIMS DON'T FALL THROUGH THE CRACKS AND WE DON'T LOSE TOUCH WITH THEM AND MAINTAIN WRIP THEM AND THAT'S WHAT THESE ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS. DO ONE OF THESE GRANTS, I BELIEVE IT IS -- ACTUALLY, THEY READ THE SAME. SO I'M NOT SURE. NO, IT'S THE FAMILY JUSTICE CENTER GRANT WHICH IS AGENDA ITEM I THINK IT'S TEN. THE SAN MARCOS FAMILY JUSTICE CENTER WHICH IS LOCATED HERE DOWN THE ROAD IS A PLACE WHERE NOT JUST CRIME VICTIMS BUT OTHER PEOPLE CAN GO AND RECEIVE VARIOUS TYPES OF SERVICES, WHETHER THAT BE TO ENGAGE WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT, IT REPORT A CRIME, TO GET A EXAMINATION DONE TO TALK WITHER ISS BUT TO SEEK OTHER SERVICES, HOUSING THINGS OF THAT NATURE THAT'S DESIGNED TO BE A ONE-STOP SHOP SEEK

[01:15:06]

GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE IN A VARIETY OF WAYS. CURRENTLY, THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE COMPONENT OF THAT IS STAFFED BY A ROTATION OF INDIVIDUALS FROM THE VARIOUS AGENCIES.

THE D.A.'S OFFICE CURRENTLY HAVE THE STAFF, ALTHOUGH WE HAVE JUST HIRED A PERSON WHO HAD BEEN HIRED FOR THIS GRANT AND THAT PERSON WILL ONCE FAMILY JUSTICE CENTER ACTUALLY OHMS BACK UP THAT IS A PERSON SORT OF CONTACT FACILITY. SO IT'S NOT BEEN OPERATED DURING COVID. WE'RE AS DISPALTING HAVING THIS PERSON HOUSED OVER THERE AND WORKING OVER THERE SO WE HAVE IMMEDIATE CONTACT WITH THE V.A. OFFICE TO APPLY FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER TO SEEK DIRECTION FOR WHAT SORT OF SERVICES MIGHT BE AVAILABLE AS A CRIME VICTIM, THAT WILL BE THE POINT SYSTEM TO DO THAT INSTEAD OF HAVING SENDING SOMEONE FROM MY OFFICE SO THAT IS WHAT THIS GRANT IS FOR. THE OTHER IS TO JUST ONE OF THE WAYS WE'RE TRYING TO OFFSET THE COST OF THE COUNTY BY KEEPING A FULLY STAFFED VICTIM SERVICES

DEPARTMENT. >> THANK YOU. ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS FOR

MR. MAO? >> GREAT SERVICE. THANK YOU.

>> YES THANK YOU. BEFORE WE WALK AWAY WE ALSO HAVE COMMISSIONER SHELL WE HAVE TO GIVE A LITTLE EXTRA DELAY ON THAT RESPONSE. COMMISSIONER SHELL, ANY QUESTIONS FOR MR. MAO? RIGHT NOW BECAUSE WE HAVE ANOTHER AGENDA ITEM WE'RE GOING TO ASSUME NO. I'M GOING TO GO SLIGHTLY OUT OF ORDER.

WE DO HAVE ONE PERSON SIGNED UP FOR CONFERENCE ON THIS PIECE. AND WE'LL TAKE A VOTE.

MR. RODRIGO AMAYA. YOU SIGNED UP TO SPEAK ON THIS AGENDA ITEM? IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND ON ANYTHING YOU SIGNED UP FOR IT'S OK TO SAY PASS AND COPE MOVING.

>> I JUST HAD A QUESTION. >> YES, SIR. >> BECAUSE THE NEXT -- BECAUSE IT IS A DIFFERENT OFFICE. I WAS I WASN'T AWARE THAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE ONE-STOP SHOP LIKE THE D.A. SAID. IS ANYBODY KEEPING STATISTICS OF HOW MUCH IS BEING USED, WHERE IT

WAS WHERE TO KEEP THAT INFORMATION KIND OF CITIZEN. >> THANK YOU, SIR.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. WE COULD ASK MR. MAO TO COME BACK AND ADD ADDITIONAL

CLARIFICATION IF YOU DON'T MIND. >> THE FAMILYS JUSTICE CENTER IS RUN BY A BOARD.

IT'S ESSENTIALLY NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION, SO THAT THE BUILDING AND THE FACILITIES R ESSENTIALLY LIKE I SAID OWNED BY THIS NONPROFIT. THE PARTICIPATING AGENCIES, INCLUDING THE D.A.'S OFFICE JUST HAVE A SPACE THERE THEY CAN OPERATE OUT OF.

SO I DON'T HAVE ANY FIGURES ON WHAT THEY ARE OPERATING BUDGET IS, OR WHAT THEY ARE EXPENDING ON THAT THIS PERSON THE PERSONNEL ON THE GRANTS WOULD BE D.A. OFFICE PERSONNEL WOULD BE WORKING DOING D.A. OFFICE DUTIES. THEY WOULDN'T BE WORKING FOR THE FAMILY JUSTLD BE HOUSED OVER THE IN ORDER TO PROVIDE SERVICES USE THE FAMILY JUSTICE CENTER

LOCATION. >> WONDERFUL. ANY OTHER FINAL QUESTIONS FOR OUR D.A.? THANK YOU SIR FOR THE CLARITY AND EXPANSE.

PERFECT. DR. CARDENAS, WILL YOU PLEASEPCM NUMBER 30?

OR NUMBER TEN? >> COMMISSION INGALSBE. >> YES.

>> COMMISSIONER SMITH. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER JONES.

>> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SHELL. >> YES.

>> JUDGE BECERRA. >> YES. WILL YOU PLEASE OPEN AGENDA ITEM

[11. Authorize the execution of Resolution and submission of a grant application to the Office of the Governor, Criminal Justice Division, General Victim Assistance program for the Hays County Victim Assistance Coordinator in the amount of $54,868.74. BECERRA/T.CRUMLEY/W.MAU]

NUMBER 11? >> 11, AUTHORIZE THE EXECUTION OF RESOLUTION AND SUBMISSION OF A GRANT APPLICATION TO THE OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE DIVISION, GENERAL VICTIM ASSISTANCE PROGRAM FOR THE HAYS COUNTY VICTIM ASSISTANCE COORDINATOR IN THE AMOUNT OF

$54,7868.74. >> SO MOVED. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND. AND WE'VE HEARD OUR D.A. SPEAK ABOUT THE SIMILARITIES OF THESE ITEMS, AND IF ANYONE HAS NO OTHER QUESTIONS, I WILL ASK THAT WE CALL THE ROLL.

DR. CARDENAS? >> COMMISSIONER JONES. >> YES.

>> COMMISSIONER SMITH. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER INGALSBE.

>> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SHELL. >> YES.

>> JUDGE BECERRA. >> YES. THE WE WILL GO TO 31.

[31. Discussion and possible action to authorize the County Judge to execute a contract between Hays County and QuickBase Inc. for software in the amount of $9,600 that will be used as the COVID-19 vaccine pre-registration system and amend the budget accordingly. BECERRA/T.CRUMLEY]

>> 31 DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE TACKS AUTHORIZE THE COUNTY ZWRO UJ EXECUTE A CONTRACT BETWEEN HAYS COUNTY AND QUICKBASE INC. FOR SOFTWARE IN THE AMOUNT OF $9,600 THAT WILL BE USED AS THE

[01:20:01]

COVID-19 VACCINE PREREGISTRATION SYSTEM AND AMEND THE BUDGET ACCORDINGLY.

>> SO MOVED. >> SECOND. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND. DO WE HAVE ANY COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS? IT'S PRETTY SELF-EXPLANATORY, WELL WRIT SCENE IN IT IS. JUDGE, I DIDN'T GET TO THANK OUR STAFF ON THE PREVIOUS AGENDA ITEM AND I REALLY WANT TO DO THAT.

I WANT TO THANK TAMMY, MIKE AND KIM. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT HAVE REACHED OUT TO ME AND/OR I TO THEM AND GIVEN ME INFORMATION THAT I CAN SHARE WITH INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE BEEN CALLINGS. SO I REALLY WANT TO THANK THEM FOR THEIR HELP, AND I KNOW THERE'S A LOT MORE PEOPLE INVOLVED BUT THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT I PARTICULARLY HAVE HAVE GOTTEN INFORMATION FROM. AND I TOO AM A LOT OF QUESTIONS WERE ANSWERED ON THE PREVIOUS AGENDA ITEM AND I'M HAPPY TO HEAR WE'RE MAKING STRIDES.

WE'RE TRYING TO IMPROVE THE SYSTEM. I KNOW WE ALL RECEIVED LOTS OF COMPLAINTS, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF ITEMS HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED OR GOING TO BE ADDRESSED, SPECIFICALLY, FOR THOSE INDIVIDUALS THAT DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE COMPUTER SYSTEM.

I KNOW THAT WE'RE WORKING ON A TELEPHONE LINE AND BUT I THINK THAT WE'RE MOVING IT THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I KNOW THERE WAS SOME HESITATION IN THE VERY BEGINNING.

WE'RE SEEKING -- A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE WANTING AND GOING TO CALLING ANY WAY.

ITH IT'S IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. >> NEW, COMMISSIONER. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> COMMISSIONER SHELL, I JUST WANT TO DOUBLECHECK ANY COMMENTS ON YOUR END? WE'RE GOING TO CALL A VOTE. THANK YOU. DR. CARDENAS, PLEASE CALL THE

ROLL. >> COMMISSIONER SHELL. >> YES.

>> COMMISSIONER JONES. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER INGALSBE.

>> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SMITH. >> YES.

>> JUDGE BECERRA. >> YES. PLEASE OPEN ITEM NUMBER 36.

[36. Discussion and possible action authorizing the County Judge to execute an Interlocal Cooperation Contract with the Department of Public Safety (DPS) for assistance in testing and analysis of seized drug evidence submitted by Hays County law enforcement agencies. SHELL/MAU]

>> 36. DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY JUDGE TO EXECUTE AN INTERLOCAL COOPERATION CONTRACT WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY FOR ASSISTANCE IN TESTING AND ANALYSIS OF SEIZED DRUG EVIDENCE SUBMITTED BY HAYS COUNTY LAW

ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES. >> SO MOVED. >> SECOND.

>> WE HAVE AS AND A SECOND AND WE HAVE ONE PERSON SIGNED UP TO SPEAK.

MR. RODRIGO AMY YEAH. IF YOU WILL PLEASE START HIS TIMER.

>> THANK YOU, JUDGE, COMMISSIONER. THIS ITEM JUDGE, COMMISSIONERS.

>> A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE CONTRACT OR THE HISTORY. THERE'S A COUPLE OF VERY CONCERNING INCIDENTS INVOLVING SOME OF THE TECHNICIAN THAT YOU WANT TO FOCUS ON.

A HISTORY PERFORMING I KNOW HOW THEY WORK. OVERTURNED.

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN 2,000 YEARS AGAIN. WHAT ARE WE DOING CONTRACTING THIS? YOU VAUL HARD QUESTIONS. DID Y'ALL EVEN LOOK AT THIS CONTRACT SOME THAT'S $386,866.86. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, MR. AMAYA. MR. MAO, WILL YOU PLEASE APPROACH THE PODIUM?

[01:25:07]

>> THANK YOU, YOUR HONOR. WHAT THIS CONTRACT DOES, IT'S VERY SIMPLE THROOR A CONTRACT HAD WE HAD IN PLACE WITH THE AUSTIN POLICE DEPARTMENT LAB, THE AUSTIN POLICE DEPARTMENT LAB APPARENTLY THERE THEIR WORKLOAD HAS GROWN TOO MUCH FOR THEM TO BE ABLE TO DESYING THE ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES TO DO HAYS COUNTY WORK. SO THEY CANCELED THAT CONTRACT.

I WANT TO SAY FROM FEBRUARY LAST YEAR IT'S BEEN A WHILE. SINCE THEN, WE HAVE BEEN RESUBMITTING OUR MATERIALS TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY LAB, WHICH IS WHAT WEHAVE BEEN DOING FOR DECADES EVER SINCE THE BPS LAB A LAB. SO THE OPTION HERE IS TO SEND OUR STUFF TO LAB, WHICH THE STUFF PAYS FOR, BUT WE GO INTO THE REGULAR CUE WHICH CURRENTLY LAST TIME WE CHECKED ON A NUMBER OF PENDING CASES WE WERE TOLD THAT IF THE CASE HAS NOT BEEN SITTING IN THE CUE FOR AT LEAST A YEAR THEY AREN'T GOING TO GIVE US A PROPOSED TIME FRAME HAD WHICH THE RESULTS MIGHT BE DELIVERED. WE ARE GETTING RESULTS IN ABOUT 18 MONTHS BUT THAT'S THAT WORKLOAD EXTENDS IT'S -- WHAT CHARGES ARE APPROPRIATE AND THE SUBSTANCES WE HAVE. MOST OF THESE CASES ARE FELONIES JUST IT MAKE IT CLEAR TO EVERYBODY. WE'RE NOT TESTING SMALL AMOUNTS OF MARIJUANA.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT COCAINE, HEROIN, METHAMPHETAMINE. THOSE ARE THE MAIN DRUTIONS THAT WE ARE SENDING OFF TO THE LAB BEING TESTED UNDER OUR CURRENT REGIME.

THE CONTRACT HERE ESSENTIALLY WILL TAKE A CURRENT DPS LAB ANALYST, ASSIGN THEM TO PRIORITIZE ONLY HAYS COUNTY CASES UNTIL WE REACH THE NUMBER OF THE CONTRACT, WHICH IS 70 A MONTH. THAT IS I THINK WE COULD EASILY EXCEED THAT.

WE WILL END UP TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW WE CAN MAKE SURE IMPORTANT CASES GET INTO THE HAYS COUNTY CUE AS OPPOSED TO GETTING SHIFTED BACK INTO THE REGULAR QEUE BUT I DON'T THINK WE HAVE ENOUGH WORK IT JUSTIFY A CONTRACT OF TWO EMPLOYEES AT DPS.

WE DO HAVE I THINK PLENTY FOR ONE PERSON TO DO AND BY REDUCING THE TIME TO ABOUT A 30-DAY TURNAROUND THAT WILL ALLOW US MUCH MORE QUICKLY RESOLVE THESE CASES.

ONE OF THE BIG PROBLEMS THAT I'VE GOT WITH THE DELAYS HERE IN CONJUNCTION WITH OUR DISCOVERY REQUIREMENTS AND OUR THE THINGS THAT WE DO TO MAKE SURE THE DEFENSE THE CASE HAS ALL THE EVIDENCE THEY NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE A APPROPRIATE DECISION ON WHETHER OR NOT TO ACCEPT A PLEA BARGAIN AND GO TO TRIAL ETC. IS, THAT WE REALLY CAN'T GO FORWARD WITH THESE CASES UNTIL WE HAVE THE FORENSIC RESULTS IN HAND. IF WE HAVE THOSE RESULTS IF HAND IN 30 DAYS WE CAN RESOLVE THESE CASES IN SIX MONTHS WE DON'T HAVE THOSE FOR 18 MONTHS IT'S GOING TO TAKE US TWO YEARS TO RESOLVE THESE CASES TWO YEARS DURING WHICH A PERSON WHO MAY HAVE A DRUG PROBLEM IS NOT HAVING ANY KIND OF COURT INTERACTION TO TRY TO DEAL WITH THAT.

THEY ARE NOT MADE TO GO ON PROBATION OR THE OTHER THINGS THE COURTS CAN ORDER THEY ARE SIMPLY GOING ON ABOUT THEIR BUSINESS PRESUMELY THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS THEY HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE TO ALLOW THAT FOR 18 MONTHS CREATES ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS FOR THAT PERSON THEY ARE PROBABLY GOING TO GET ARRESTED AGAIN WHATEVER THE CASE MAY BE.

IF WE CAN GET FRIENDSICS BACK TO US IN 30 DAYS PROVIDE THE DISCOVERY MOVE FORWARD ON THE CASE WE CAN RESOLVE THESE CASES MORE EFFECTIVELY. WE CAN DEAL WITH THESE INDIVIDUALS AND DEAL WITH THEM A WAY THAT WILL PREVENT PHLEGM COMMITTING FUTURE CRIMES IN THE SAME NATURE AS WE GO FORWARD. AS WAS HINTED IN THE COMMENTS IN IS A PROJECT FOR FOUR YEARS SO IT ESSENTIALLY COVERS THE COST OF THAT EMPLOYEE WOULD BE DEDICATED TO HAYS COUNTY COVERS THE COST OF THEIR SALARY AS IF THEY WERE A HAYS COUNTY EMPLOYEE.

AND WE WILL BE LOOKING INTO A GOVERNOR'S GRANT TO PAY, WHETHER WE WILL BE LOOKING INTO THE GOVERNOR'S GRACHBT WILL WE'LL ALSO BE LOOKING IT SPEAK TO THE OTHER OTHERS DICTIONS I GUESS

[01:30:04]

THE CITY OF KYLE AND CITY OF SAN MARCOS. THE HAYS COUNTY BUDGET AND LOOKING TO SEE WHETHER THEY WILL PARTICIPATE THIS SHARING TOOFF SET THESE RESPONSES BECAUSE THEY

WILL ALSO BE GETTING THE BENEFIT OF THESE. >> THANK YOU FOR THAT BECAUSE YOU ANSWERED A LOT OF QUESTIONS WALKING INTO THIS. I'M GLAD YOU SAID PRESUMABLY OUT AND NOT SITTING IN JAIL FOR TWO YEARS WAITING FOR A -- THE THREE TO SIX FOUR YEAR IS $96,000 A YEAR SO THAT IS A LITTLE MORE DIGESTABLE. IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SNAG.

>> WELL IN YOUR MATERIALS IN YEAR ONE -- SAYING? >> IN YEAR ONE THE TOTAL COST IS $78,444. THEN IT GOES UP YEAR TO YEAR. THEN AVERAGES OUT TIP ENDS IN

106. >> SO THANK YOU, SIR FOR THAT CLARIFICATION.

SO THAT AVERAGING OF 96K A YEAR IS MORE PALATE WBLET UNDERSTANDING.

I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION -- PALATABLE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING.

I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION, MAYBE TWO. SINCE WE'RE ONLY TESTING PRIMARILY COCAINE, METH AND HEROIN I KNOW MY -- IF IT DOESN'T GO THAT WAY.

I KNOW IN CHEMISTRY WHERE HIGH CONCENTRATIONS IN OTHER PARTS. HOW MUCH CAN BE EXPECTED TO HAVE A LAB FOR HAYS COUNTY TO TEST THESE THREE SUBSTANCES, WHETHER THEY ARE OR NOT SUCH ANITE SNEM

IS THAT EXPENSE SNIFF. >> TO ESTABLISH OUR OWN LAB YOU MEAN?

>> YES, FOR THOSE THREE ITEMS? >> YES. BECAUSE IT'S NOT SIMPLY A MATTER. WE GET TO HIRE AN EMPLOYEE WHO IS TRAINED TO DO THAT FOR ESSENTIALLY THE COST THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE. BUT TO SET UP A LAB TO HAVE ALL THE EQUIPMENT TO THEN SET UP THE TRAINING PROTOCOLS, TO HAVE ALL THE ADMINISTRATION REQUIRED, QUITE FRANKLY, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE BUDGET THE AUSTIN LAB IS OR THE DPS LAB IS AND A MUCH SMALLER OPERATION THAN THAT. I KNOW I LOOKED INTO THAT A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO.

AND PROBABLY FOUR OR FIVE YEARS AGO NOW THE COST WOULD BE PROHIBITIVE GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF WORK IT DO. LIKE I SAID WE HAVE ENOUGH TO DO WITH MAYBE ONE ANALYST PLUS A LITTLE BIT TO SET UP OWN LAB TO DO OUR OWN TESTING IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

WHEN WE HAVE A LAB LIKE AUSTIN WHEN WE SET UP THE AUSTIN LAB IT TURNS OUT IT'S MORE ECONOMICAL TO SET UP A THRAB HAS A LARGER STAFF AND ECONOMIES OF SCALE THOSE LARGER LABS.

>> I'M GLAD YOU SAW IT IN THE SAME LENS AS DID I IN SAVING TIME AND MONEY.

THAT IS THE GOAL. SAVE MCHBLET BE EFFICIENT WITH PEOPLE'S TIME AS WELL BECAUSE I BELIEVE THERE'S A POSSIBILITY SOME OF THESE FOLKS ARE SITTING IN JAIL UNTIL THAT RESULT COMES IN AND THAT'S GOING TO COVT US EVEN MORE WITH THE HOUSING OF IT.

>> YEAH. DON'T GET ME WRONG. THERE ARE PEOPLE SITTING IN JAIL BECAUSE THEY GOT ARRESTED FOR AGGRAVATED ASSAULT AND THEY HAD DRUGS.

BECAUSE WE WANT TO RESOLVE THOSE CASES TOGETHER THIS LAB TESTING POTENTIALLY COULD RESULT IN DELAYS IN THOSE CASES AS WELL EVEN THOUGH THE ASSAULT CASE DOESN'T HAVE ANY -- THE DRUGS DO. THOSE CASES MAY BE EASIER TO RESOLVE BECAUSE ASSAULT IS A MORE SERIOUS CRIME. WE MAY RESOLVE THE CASE. BUT I DON'T WANT TO GIVE YOU THE IMPRESSION NOBODY IS SITTING IN JAIL THAT HAVE A DRUG CHARGE. SOME PEOPLE.

DO. >> RIGHT ON. YES, SIR.

SO HOW REALISTIC IS IT? THAT COMMENT THAT WAS MADE FOR THE GOAL 30 DAYS.

APPROXIMATE IS 18 MONTHS. HOW LIKELY ARE WE TO GET SOME KIND OF REALISTIC USEFUL TIME

SLOT FOR A DEDICATED HAYS COUNTY EMPLOYEE ON THAT FRONT? >> I BELIEVE THAT IS REALIST WHIK WE STARTED THE CONTRACT WITH THE AUSTIN POLICE DEPARTMENT WE WERE GETTING TURN AROUNDS. IT SIMPLY GOT TO BE TOO MUCH OF THEM THEY ARE NOT CHARGING AS MUCH AS AUSTIN PD WAS CHARGED AGAINST FOR ESSENTIALLY THE SERVICE.

ONE OF THE DIFFERENCES THEY ARE LIMITED TO A CERTAIN NUMBER OF TESTS AND CASES PER MONTH THAT WAS THE REAL PROBLEM THERE. THEY GOT TO THE POINT WHERE THEY COULDN'T KEEP UP WITH WHAT WE

[01:35:03]

WERE SENDING THEM. NOW THIS CONTRACT MAY END UP DOING THE SAME THING THEY ARE STILL GOING TO GUARANTEE US AROUND THE 30-DAY TURNAROUND ON THE FIRST 70 CASES IT'S.

>> US THAT IF WE GO PAST THAT THEY WON'T GARIN TEET SAME TURNAROUND.

>> THAT'S A GOOD TARGET. COMMISSIONERS ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS.

>> I JUST WANT TO CLARIFY IT'S NOT A HAYS COUNTY EMPLOYEE. IT'S A DPS EMPLOYEE THAT WORKS SOLELY IN HAYS COUNTY. I SPOKE BRIEFLY TO VICKI BEFORE COURT STARTED, AND I THINK MY QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. BUT ONE OF THEM WAS, ARE WE GOING TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ENTIRE COST? BECAUSE I WAS CONCERNED, BECAUSE IT DOES SAY IF THERE'S NO WORK TO BE DONE FOR HAYS COUNTY THEY WOULD ASSIGN THAT PERSON TO DO OTHER WORK FOR THEM.

BUT IT SEEMS LIKE WE'RE GOING TO HAVE PLENTY OF WORK FOR THIS PERSON TO DO, AND THEN WE ARE ALSO ATTEMPTING TO CONTACT OUR CITIES TO SEE IF THEY WILL PARTICIPATE BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL BE ARRESTED IN THEIR CITIES THAT ARE IN COURTS. AND SO HOW LIKELY DO WE FEEL HAD

A IS -- IS THAT SOMETHING THAT THEY PARTICIPATED IN THE PAST? >> YES, YES.

TO GO TO THE FIRST ONE YOU MENTIONED ABOUT, THE CONTRACT OBVIOUSLY HAS ENVISIONS IF WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING FOR THIS PERSON TO DO, THEY ARE NOT JUST SITTING TWIDDLING THEIR THUMBS.

THEY CAN WORK ON OTHER CASES AROUND THE COUNTY. THAT I DON'T MENTION BEING A CONCERN. WE'RE GOING TO GET WHAT WE'RE PAYING FOR OUT OF THE COUNTY.

WE JUST HAVE ENOUGH WORK FOR THEM. I EXPECT THAT WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM. I'M MORE CONCERNED ABOUT GETTING TOGETHER WITH OTHER AGENCIES MAKING SURE THEY ARE NOT ALL HOLDING ONTO THEIR CASES AND FILING EVERYTHING AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MONTH AND TRYING TO GET INTO THAT AND I DON'T WANT ANYBODY DOING ANY KIND OF GAMESMANSHIP, TRYING MAKE SURE THEIR CASE IS GETTING THE 30-DAY TURNAROUNDTO FIGURE OUT THE PROCESS FOR THAT. THAT IS MORE THAN THE FACT THAT THE PERSON IS GOING TO HAVE 70 CASES TO DEAL WITH. BUT WITH RESPECT TO THE COOPERATION OF THE OTHER AGENCIES, WE HAVE -- THEY HAVE COOPERATED WITH US IN THE PAST AND AUSTIN CONTRACT, FOR EXAM, AND I'M ANTICIPATING THAT WE MAY BE ABLE TO GET SOME COOPERATING ON THIS ONE AS WELL.

I WOULD SAY THAT IF IT IS CRUCIAL TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS, REGARDLESS OF PAYING FOR IT BECAUSE LIKE I SAID THE 18 MONTHS ON THESE CASES. WE HAVE BOXES AND BOSMDS OF THESE CASE THAT'S HAVE BEEN REVIEWED BY MY ATTORNEYS. WE ARE READY TO FILE ON THEM.

THAT IS AS Y'ALL MIGHT IMAGINE, THAT'S PART OF LIKE THE MORTON ACT.

IT'S PART OF THE BRADY CONCERNS IF WE GO FORWARD WITH THE TEST IT SURNZ OUT THERE IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND CREATES PROBLEMS NO DEFENSE ATTORNEY WHO IS PROTECTSING THEIR CLIENTS RIGHTS IS GOING TO BE ON A -- EVEN IF THEIR COMPLIANT ISN'T IN POSSESSION OF IF HE KNOWS THAT LAB TEST IS COMING. HE'S GOING TO WAIT TO ADVISE BEFORE HIS CLIENT PLEADS GUILTY ON IT, WE'RE GOING TO WAIT TO MAKE SURE WHAT IT IS. THOSE ARE CONCERNS THAT AREN'T

GOING TO GO AWAY UNLESS WE DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. >> JUST ONE OTHER QUESTION BECAUSE I WAS THINKING ABOUT THIS, AS YOU WERE TALKING. THE 7 CASES PER MONTH SO IF SAY TEN CASES WERE SENT OR SAY THE 70 CASES WERE SENT IN THAT ONE MONTH, ARE THEY GOING TO BE ABLE

TO DO THE 70 CASES WITHIN THAT 30 DAYS? >> THAT IS YES.

THAT'S WHAT THE CONTRACT CALLS FOR. THE OVERLOAD CONCERN WOULD BE IF WE HAVE 75 CASES AND THEY ARE GOING TO BE PUT INTO THE REGULAR QUEUE.

>> 70 CASE REASONABLE FOR SOMEBODY TO DO IN A 30-MONTH PERIOD?

THAT WAS GIVEN TO THEM ALL AT ONE TIME. >> I BELIEVE THAT IS NOT MY AREA OF EXPERTISE. THEY ARE DOING THIS KIND OF I ASSUME THEY HAVE THE CAPABILITY

TO WORK. >> THANK YOU. >> COMMISSIONER JONES?

COMMISSIONER SHELL? ANY QUESTIONS FOR OUR D.A.? >> THANK YOU.

>> NO? OK. COMMISSIONER SMITH?

>> JUST ONE QUESTION. IF WE HAVE THOSE OUTSTANDING OUT THERE MA MAYBE 18 MONTHS OR OVER A YEAR AT THIS POINT. THOSE CASES THAT ARE PENDING TESTING IN AUSTIN IS, THAT EVIDENCE GOING TO INSERTED IN THIS NEW CONTRACT? OR ARE THEY GOING TO COMPLETE

[01:40:04]

ONES THEY HAVE AND WE'RE GOING TO START FRESH WITH THESE AN ANY NEW CASES.

I GUESS MY QUESTION WOULD BE, WOULD THERE BE A WAY OR WOULD IT BE MORE PROBLEMATIC WHOOR WOULD BE THE COURSE OF ACTION THERE? BECAUSE IF THEY ARE GUARANTEEING 70 AND WE'VE GOT X NUMBER OF PENDING CASES WHY NOT TRY TO KNOCK OUT TWHOTZ LONGEST TIME FIRST.

>> RIGHT. THAT IS NOT SOMETHING WE SPECIFICALLY DISCUSSED AS PART THE CONTRACT. IT'S SOMETHING WE'LL HAVE TO GET WITH THEM ON.

MOST OF THAT -- MOST OF THOSE CASES WE'RE WAITING ON HAVE ALREADY BEEN SUBMITTED.

IT'S ALREADY IN THEIR CUE. THEY MAY HAVE ALREADY ASSIGNED AN ANALYST TO KIND OF DEPENDS ON WHETHER THEY ARE PROTOCOLS AND BE ASSIGNED TO OTHER ANALYSTS AND WHETHER OR NOT THAT JUST SEEMS TO MAKE SENSE GIVEN THE LODGEESS TICKS THERE. I OBVIOUSLY DON'T WANT TO PUT THEM BEHIND. I SUSPECT THEY WILL START FROM SCRATCH WITH THE NEW CASES AND THE OLD CASES WILL GET RESOLVED. HOPEFULLY WE'LL START WITH THE 30-DAY TURNAROUND.

I'M TOLD THEY WILL BE ASSIGNED SOMEBODY THEY ALREDY HAVE ON STAFF, SO IN OTHER WORDS, THEY AREN'T GOING TO HAVE SOMEBODY EFORE THEY START THIS.Y THEM THEY WILL BE ABLE TO START DAY ONE BEFORE TESTING. SO PROBABLE DECIDE WHAT TO DO IS START FRESH WITH THE NEW CASES TO MAKE SURE WE'RE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE CONTRACT GOING FORWARD RATHER THAN TRYING TO

REMEDY THE DELAYS THAT WE'VE ALREADY GOT. >> DO YOU HAVE AN ESTIMATE ON HOW MANY CASES ARE WITH AUSTIN RIGHT NOW THAT WE WERE WAITING ON.

THAT'S MY LAST QUESTION. >> YEAH AND I APOLOGIZE. DID I HAVE THAT NUMBER WHEN I CONTACTED COMMISSIONER SHELL ABOUT SPONSORING THIS AGENDA ITEM AND I DID NOT BRING THAT INFORMATION WITH ME, BUT I WANT TO SAY IT'S IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF 500.

>> WHOA! >> I89S A LOT OF CASES. >> THAT'S A -- IT'S A LOT OF

CASES. >> THAT'S A TALL NUMBER. >> IF ALL THOSE CASES HAD BEEN -- IF ALL THOSE SEIZURES HAD HAPPENED DURING A CONTRACT LIKE THIS, ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THOSE CASES WOULD HAVE BEEN FILED BY NOW. I'M NOT NECESSARILY SAYING THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED BUT IT'S A SEPARATE ISSUE AT LEAST THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN PREPARED TO

MOVE FORWARD WITH THOSE CASES. >> CLARIFICATION. >> COMMISSIONER, THE APD LAB WHEN THEY COMMUNICATED THEIR INTENTION TO MOVE ON FROM THE CONTRACT, THEY DID INDICATE THAT THEY WOULD TAKE CARE OF ANYTHING PENDING OR IN THE CHUTE. I THINK IT'S PROBABLY AT THIS POINT IT THE COURT SEES TO FIT TO PASS THIS AGREEMENT, THEN WE'LL HAVE TO DO SOME ANALYSIS

TO SEE WHAT LANDED IN THE GAP. >> THAT'S A REALLY GOOD IDEA MR. KENNEDY, BECAUSE THAT'S A HUGE NUMBER. WE CAN'T LEAVE IT. WE HAVE TO SUPPORT YOU THE BEST WAY WE CAN TO GET THIS RESOLVED. OK DR. CARDENAS, PLEASE CALL THE ROLL.

>> COMMISSIONER INGALSBE. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER JONES.

>> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SHELL. >> YES.

>> COMMISSIONER SMITH. >> YES. >> JUDGE BECERRA.

>> YES. THANK YOU, SIR. >> THANK YOU.

[37. Discussion and possible action to authorize the County Judge to execute Amendment #1 to the Professional Services Agreement (PSA) between Hays County and Larry J Foster, Texas Professional Inspector #3 to reflect an updated fee schedule to provide Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) Inspections for the HUD funded Community Development Block Grant Disaster Relief (CDBG-DR) Housing Program. JONES/T.CRUMLEY]

>> WE'RE GOING TO GO TO 37 AND EXECUTIVE SESSION TO PLEASE OPEN 37.

>> 37, DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION TO AUTHORIZE THE COUNTY JUDGE TO EXECUTE AMENDMENT NUMBER ONE TO THE PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AGREEMENT BETWEEN HAYS COUNTY AND LARRY J. FOSTER, TEXAS PROFESSIONAL INSPECTOR NUMBER THREE TO REFLECT AN UPDATED FEE SCHEDULE TO PROVIDE TEXAS REAL ESTATE COMMISSION INSPECTIONS FOR THE HUD FUNDED COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK

GRANT DISASTER RELIEF HOUSING PROGRAM. >> SO MOVED.

>> SECOND. >> WE HAVE A MOTION AND A SECOND.

WE HAVE ONE PERSON SIGNED UP TO SPEAK. MR. RODRIGO AMAYA.

>> JUDGE, COMMISSIONERS. THIS AGENDA ITEM LIKE I PUT ON MY LITTLE SUMMARY FOR MY COMMENT. I NEED MORE MEAT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE A SIDE.

HOW DO YOU GO FROM 175 TO 450 WITH JUST WE'RE GOING TO INCREASE IT AND THERE'S NOTHING.

I MEAN, WHERE'S THE TRANSPARENTSY? WE NEED SOMETHING MORE THAN JUST -- WE WENT FROM 157 TO 450 AND THERE'S REALLY NO EXPLANATION OF JUSTIFICATION.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF THIS NEEDS TO DO A BETTER JOB OF PROVIDING SO THAT CITIZENS KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, SIR. AND I'M JUST GRATEFUL THAT WE HAVE THOSE IN THIS AGENDA ITEM

PRESENT. >> YEP. JUDGE, THIS IS FOR THE INSPECTION ON THOSE COMMUNITY GRANTS THAT WE GOT. WE THOUGHT WE WERE GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET THEM WAIVED BUT THE STATE WOULD NOT WAIVE THOSE. THIS IS THE WAY THE MARKET IS GOING RIGHT NOW THIS INCREASE FROM 157 TO 450 IS PRETTY LIGHT. RIGHT NOW TO GET A HOME

[01:45:02]

APPRAISED WHAT USED TO BE 350 IS NOW GOING FOR $1,000 NOW. TO GET THESE TYPE OF INSPECTIONS DONE THESE 3RE78 DOING PROBABLY TEN TIMES MORE THAN THEY WERE DOING SIX, SEVEN MONTHS AGO.

SO IT'S JUST THE MARKET THAT HAS GONE FROM 157 TO 450 ON THESE FEES.

>> MISS CRUMLEY WOULD YOU LIKE TO EXPAND AND STATE YOUR NAME AND TITLE FOR THE RECORD.

>> TAMMY CRUMLEY. WE HAVE JESSICA ON TEAMS. SHE CAN EXPLAIN WHAT WE'VE DONE TO TROY GET THIS WAVED WITH THE JAIL. HAVE HER PROCEED.

>> IS SHE THERE TO SPEAK? PERFECT. >> YES, JESSICA.

>> OK. HI. THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

SO YES, THIS IS ABOUT THE CHECK INSPECTIONS FOR THE REHABILITATIONS TO THE COUNTIES HOUSING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM AND THE JAIL GRANT FOR 2015. SO IN THE ORIGINAL GUIDELINES, IT WAS SAID THAT WE HAD TO GET A INSPECTION FOR REHAB, BUT THEY DID NOT PROVIDE ANY GUIDANCE FOR HAVING TO GO ABOUT DOING THAT, AND WE WENT BACK AND FORTH WITH THE TYPE OF -- COUNTY PROCURED TO TRY TO GET THEM TO WAIVE THIS. AND JUST CONTINUE WITH THE REGULAR HBS INSPECTION CALL AND NOT GET A FULL TRUCK INSPECTION ON JUTS REPAIRS.

THE DEAL -- THEY SAID IT WAS OK TO CHANGE THE COST WHICH IS ALREADY IN THE AMENDMENT OF HE SAID HE COULD PERFORM THE READING TO PASS THE REHAB FOR THE GRANT 17 APER FOAM INSPECTION. NOW THE RECONSTRUCTIONS ARE STILL 17 AFOR INSPECTION PER HOME BUT THE REHAKZ WHICH ALREADY ALREADY -- ARE GOING TO BE $450 A PIECE WHICH IS WHAT

THE SUBMISSION WAS FOR. >> COMMISSIONERS, ANY QUESTIONS. >> DID SHE SAY THERE WERE FOUR? IT'S REALLY HARD TO HEAR. THERE WERE FOUR OF THOSE AT $450 AND THE GRANT IS PAYING FOR

THEM? >> THE GRANT THAT WE WERE BUDGETED STILL SHOULD FALL IN

LINE UNDER THAT DOLLAR AMOUNT. >> YES. >> OK.

SO WHAT WE HEARD IS THE GRANT WILL COVER THAT AMOUNT. >> YES.

>> JUST WANT IT REITERATE. >> THEY WILL CUT THAT. >> REVERSE PANEL.

>> OK. >> ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS FOR OUR SPEAKER.

THANK YOU FOR BEING SO PATIENT. AND WE APPRECIATE YOU CHIMING IN AND GIVING US ADDITIONAL

INFORMATION. >> THANK YOU. >> DR. CARDENAS PLEASE CALL THE

ROLL. >> COMMISSIONER JONES. >> YES.

>> COMMISSIONER SMITH. >> YES. >> COMMISSIONER INGALSBE.

>> YES. >> COMMISSIONER SHELL. >> YES.

>> JUDGE BECERRA. >> YES. WE ARE NOW GOING TO GO INTO

[EXECUTIVE SESSIONS]

EXECUTIVE SESSION. IF YOU WILL PLEASE OPEN UP 40-45.

>> 40 EXECUTIVE SESSION PURSUANT TO SECTION 551.071 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE CONSULTATION WITH COUNSEL REGARDING PENDING AND/OR CONTEMPLATED LITIGATION INVOLVING HAYS COUNTY.

POSSIBLE ACTION MAY FOLLOW IN OPEN COURT. 41, EXECUTIVE SESSION PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 551.071 AND 551.087 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE, CONSULTATION WITH COUNSEL AND DELIBERATION REGARDING ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT NEGOTIATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH PRO THE TEXAS.

POSSIBLE DISCUSSION AND/OR ACTION MAY FOLLOW IN OPEN COURT. EXECUTIVE SESSION PURSUANT TO SECTION 5/51.071 AND 551.074 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE. CONSULTATION WITH COUNSEL AND DELIBERATION REGARDING ALL INDIVIDUAL POSITIONS IN THE HAYS COUNTY ELECTIONS OFFICE.

POSSIBLE DISCUSSION AND/OR ACTION MAY FOLLOW IN OPEN COURT. 43.

EXECUTIVE SESSION PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 551.071 AND 551.074 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE.

CONSULTATION WITH COUNSEL AND DELIBERATION REGARDING ALL INDIVIDUAL POSITIONS IN THE HAYS COUNTY VETERAN SERVICE OFFICE. POSSIBLE DISCUSSION AND/OR ACTION MAY FOLLOW IN OPEN COURT.

44, EXECUTIVE SESSION PURSUANT TO SECTION 551.071 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE CONSULTATION WITH COUNSEL AND AUDITOR'S OFFICE HAYS COUNTY USE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TREASURY FUNDS

[01:50:04]

PURSUANT TO 501-A OF THE DIVISION N OF THE CONSOLIDATED APPROPRIATIONS ACT AND THE COVID-19 LOCAL DISASTER DECLARATION. POSSIBLE ACTION TO FOLLOW IN OPEN COMPLT 45, EXECUTIVE SESSION PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 551.071 AND 551.074 OF THE TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE. CONSULTATION WITH COUNSEL AND DELIBERATION REGARDING EMPLOYMENT AND DUTIES OF ALL INDIVIDUAL POSITIONS THAT REPORT DIRECTLY TO THE COMMISSIONERS COURT INCLUDING DEPARTMENT HEADS. POSSIBLE DISCUSSION AND/OR

ACTION MAY FOLLOW IN OPEN COURT. >> WE'RE GOING TO GO INTO EXECUTIVE SESSION.

IF YOU ARE NOT DIRECTLY TIED TO NUMBER 45 IS WHAT WE'RE START WITH YOU

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.